F-body race suspension ?'s

Locomotion

Reaction score
There may be an F-body race car in my future so I had a few questions about them.

Does anyone have any close-up pics of the front leaf spring hangars on an F-body? I was wondering if the spring mounting location is on-center relative to the 4 mounting studs or if it's offset a bit.

Do Cal-Trac users have to use the SS spring extensions with the set-up or are Cal-Tracs now available with longer front leaf segments to match the OEM length?

Are F-body disc brake spindle bearings the same as '73+ A-body? In other words, will just brakes/rotors swap over? I believe I did hear that the geometry is a bit different, but just wondering about brake interchangability.

Thanks for any info.

Myron

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Not sure about calipers, but rotors are the same. I ordered rotors for a 85 diplomat for my dart at a local parts store, figured if I said 74 the Morton behind the counter would of said they don't have parts for something that old

badvert65

Reaction score
The front spring bolt is close to if not in line with the lower row of bracket mounting studs. When I removed the iso-clamp mess from my 79 Volare, I reversed the front hangers (redrilled the holes) to bring it back down to normal ride height (I gained over an inch when I removed the iso-clamp pads).

Locomotion

Reaction score
The front spring bolt is close to if not in line with the lower row of bracket mounting studs. When I removed the iso-clamp mess from my 79 Volare, I reversed the front hangers (redrilled the holes) to bring it back down to normal ride height (I gained over an inch when I removed the iso-clamp pads).

Ok. Although that wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it's useful info as well!
The offset I was wondering about was side-to-side. When you "reversed" the front hangers, did you flip them in the original locations and/or swap them side-to-side? I was wondering if swapping them from side-to-side would change the centerline of the spring mount inboard or outboard. In other words, is the spring centerline centered between the front spring mount studs or offset?

Thanks

Last edited:

badvert65

Reaction score
The spring is centered in the bracket (no offset). I don't believe there is more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the bracket and the frame. I don't think any of the spring hangers were offset from the factory. Direct Connection (Mopar Performance) makes some offset hangers but I do not think they will fit the F-M-J chassis (front ones).

Locomotion

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I'm trying to get some ideas on what I can and can't do.
'68-'70 B-body 8 3/4" is in the plans and need to fit 10" rims with 9"x30" slicks. Looks like wheel offset needs to be pretty precise.

Dago Red

Reaction score
Stranger In a Strange Land

Myron! Is that you bud?

Myrons Dart.jpg

Dago Red

Reaction score
Crunch the Numbers

Myron the F-body spring hanger brackets (P4120081) have two front spring locater holes. I've used the standard 8 3/4 shock mounting plates and U-bolts with no shock alignment problems. The B-body spring locater holes are 44", while the F-body's are 44.45". I used the A-body 8/10's offset shackle kit (P4120075) to make up the angular difference. Fits like it was engineered for it. Using Cal-Tracs it would probably be better to move the perch holes out a 1/4" on each side for the geometry. 30" tires will require just a touch of work on the wheelhouses (I tried 30's and they rubbed, went back to 28's, no problems). The adjustable snubber fits and the rear drum brakes interchange.

Locomotion

Reaction score
Yea, Hi!. That's me! :hello:

I have a line on a '79 Aspen wagon deal and trying to get something together for next year. It's already a Stocker but needs a few things swapped around. I was wondering about the offset shackles but didn't know if they would be legal. I also wondered if the b-body perch difference and shackles might put the OEM located front spring eyes in a bind, especially if they are solid, because everything wouldn't be parallel. I figured I'd at least have to roll the rear fender lips pretty good to fit 30" Hoosier radials. It has 28 or 29" slicks now with SS springs & extensions. But I'm hoping to afford Cal-Tracs.

I've been wanting to try NHRA Stock before getting too old and without going broke. I'm on my 2nd bad year in a row in IHRA but plan to keep my IHRA combo. It's now or never.

Locomotion

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having that car. But the one I'm looking at is here in Florida owned by Rebel Kidd. He's had a variety of F-bodies over the years and currently has a SS 318 SS Aspen 2 door. He built the wagon a few years ago. Nothing fancy and just a little under the index. But it's the most affordable way I can get my foot in the door of NHRA Stock.

My imp

Reaction score
Is that Pt. Charlotte by any chance? I converted a Chevy owner in the late '80's to F bodies after my wife's '66 Coronet handed his Blova it's arse!

Locomotion

Reaction score
Rebel Kidd near Lakeland. It's a black Aspen wagon. It won't be very fast, but hopefully be consistent. Sitting in a wagon is like being in a greenhouse. No blind spots!

My imp

Reaction score
This kid had those 4" gold letters on a black background (the ones you put on your mailbox from that said "Strictly Business". After I handed him his arse with the '66, my neighbor modified it a little to read,"Strictly Dickless"! But at least he bought an Aspen R/T! Go Mopar!

4892stk

Reaction score
Myron, Looking at build just like your's but starting with stock wagon myself. I was looking for this same info. Spent a while talking with John Irving about his wagon and some base ideas. What engine combo do you plan on running? Good luck with the combo.

Locomotion

Reaction score
Cool! I plan to run it as a '78 with a 360 in I/SA or maybe J/SA, but I hate all the weight. H/SA has too many cars in it. I've run 360's for a long time so I have many of the core parts needed - blocks, heads & cranks. Front shocks are an issue but there is a shock company that I contacted to ask about making some externally adjustable versions. They already have some about the right length, but the bottom mount needs a stud and they are fatter, which may cause clearance issues.

I did end up with some OEM length used aftermarket SS leaf springs (TriCity Competition -?) and Rancho rear shocks for the car. Still have the fuel cell, ballast box and 3" exhaust to finish. Not sure if I'll run the engine as-is or make a few changes because it's slow. But I have someone working on a fresh build specifically for this. A good engine guy, but new to class racing and all the rules. If I end up ,4 - .5 under the index, I'll be more than happy. I can't afford all the "tricks" to qualify high and set records. But it's consistency, predictability and reliability that wins most races.

Weren't the pics you posted a 2 door?

Last edited:
Back