F body upper and lower control arms color from the factory.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I'm sure the guys and gals that put them together at the factory never slept worrying about scratches. Lol

volare 77

Reaction score
The factory did have a advantage with special tooling, fixtures, etc. When you do the same thing a couple hundred times a day you get pretty good at it . At least i would hope so. LOL

Aspen500

Reaction score
On suspension, steering and drivetrain parts, I highly doubt the factory workers worried about scratches. In fact, I KNOW they didn't worry about it. Why would they?

volare 77

Reaction score
Not saying they really cared about it but mistakes and damage was probably minimized by the processes.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not saying they really cared about it but mistakes and damage was probably minimized by the processes.
True. The right tools make all the difference. Just like in the auto repair business. If you have the special tools, the job goes much faster and with a lot less chance of damage. Of course there are some repairs that you MUST have the special tools or it's impossible to do the job, period.

barbee6043

Reaction score
If the part was produced "in house" they appear to be fairly uniform in finish. Vendor parts that could come from different suppliers tend to vary more. Nuts bolts, screw came from one supplier so they remain pretty constant. Over the last 35 years I have taken apart a lot of cars, some restored (as I call it), some parts, had a few true survivors.
All that work to clean and detail the underside to perfection, loses some of its value IF you drive it. I do so to preserve the car, that's all. But I appreciate the extent some people can go to trying to restore it all back to OEM day 1 perfection!
But I have never cared about the "show car " restored to OEM status, just wanted a solid car that looked good, that drove good!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Oh boy. I wish I had the time to work on OY to that extent! I would love to bring the wagon back as close to original as possible, but that can't happen, if it ever happens, until after I retire (these days, that remains a question too! :eek:).

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Volare 77 and XfbodyX (and others), what specific colors and brand names did you use (and coatings)? The powder coating – I’m not worried about (color might be out your hands).

I do see ceramic cast iron spray mentioned (used on what and from)?
Hose them on with industrial black – can you explain better (or pictures would be better)?
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I used mainly paint/coatings from Eastwood, such as Chassis Black, Aluma-Blast, etc. So far, they're holding up fairly well after 5 years of road use, not too many chips.
DSCF0001.JPG

Disclaimer: I wasn't going for original appearing so some colors may or may not be "correct".

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't going for original appearing so some colors may or may not be "correct".
I have no problem with that (if we knew what "correct" actually was . . .).

Rattle can black is too shiny for me – but it gets the job done.
Flat black is, well, too far off the traveled road to look decent.
Unpainted (or uncoated or unplated) steel is only inviting trouble down the road.

I have some equipment to powder coat – but no oven and no practice with it, yet.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
The Chassis Black is about right. It's the right semi-gloss that is an exact match to the factory stuff. On bare steel (or cast) I used the Eastwood Satin Diamond Clear for bare metal and it seems to work good. You can see the brake caliper in the photo, it is only coated with the clear. Of course since the car hasn't been wet for almost 23 years, I can't say how it would do if driven in the rain.

Back