F=-body wagon- Exploded view

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
In my older Direct Connections racing manual they offer up exploded, or blown apart view how a car would go together. I'm looking for 1 of the Volare station wagon. Does anyone know where I can find 1? I've already Googled it, but came up with nothing.

kmccabe56

Reaction score
In my older Direct Connections racing manual they offer up exploded, or blown apart view how a car would go together. I'm looking for 1 of the Volare station wagon. Does anyone know where I can find 1? I've already Googled it, but came up with nothing.
The factory parts book is about the only place you're going to find any kind of drawings that will give you that sort of view.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Well, what specifically are you looking for?

A single pic that's the equivalent of 'Bill of Materials' explode (manufacturing speak here) is going to be a tough one to find...but if you narrow this down to a sub-component/assembly, that might be easier?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Bishko shows the parts catalogs in a reprint or CD. Well worth buying, not only for the illustrations, but also part numbers. Makes it easier to find parts also. The catalog I've had for years is invaluable.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Does it have 1976 - 1980 Plymouth Volares in them? If it does , by all means take a picture of it and post it in here. Please,,,,,,,,.
For sure it has the 1980 Volares in them...but as I had asked before: what specifically are you looking to see?

In other words: there are far too many diagrams in both the FSM and the Parts Book for me to scan each and every page that's Volare specific (some - most - are not, since the F/M/J-body cars share a lot of the components).

So anyways, tell me what you're looking for and I will deep-dive into both references, otherwise if you're looking to have the full visibility than I would sugest picking up a FSM or the specific model year Parts Book.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
For sure it has the 1980 Volares in them...but as I had asked before: what specifically are you looking to see?

In other words: there are far too many diagrams in both the FSM and the Parts Book for me to scan each and every page that's Volare specific (some - most - are not, since the F/M/J-body cars share a lot of the components).

So anyways, tell me what you're looking for and I will deep-dive into both references, otherwise if you're looking to have the full visibility than I would sugest picking up a FSM or the specific model year Parts Book.
If you were to take a car a part piece by piece and reassemble it piece by piece you would need a diagram showing where each piece went. That's what I'm looking for.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It's not hard to do it without instructions, I've assembled many cars that in didn't take apart. It just takes time. If you need to disassemble just take plenty of pictures and bag and tag everything, then you can put your own book together.
Out of all the cars I've built I've only seen a manual for try five cheves and I never even used it.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
This 1 I copied. Might give a better insight as to what I'm after.

exploded car.gif

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Update. Boy,,,,,,,,,,, you should've been here today I thought my heart was gonna stop. Looking around on Facebook Marketplace. I thought I found the 1st Volare wagon I'd seen close enough in 2 years. Made contact, did some scurrying to line up a hauler and the owner answered me. Has no idea why the ad keeps getting posted, the car wasn't for sale. Depressing for sure.

Last edited:

kmccabe56

Reaction score
If you were to take a car a part piece by piece and reassemble it piece by piece you would need a diagram showing where each piece went. That's what I'm looking for.
Chrysler did produce books that do exactly what you're looking for, down to the last individual piece, rivet and/or weld. They're called Graphics books. And there are maybe two or three sets not in the possession of Chrysler. But to assemble a car, you need several sets. There's Body In White, where the bare body shell is assembled, there's Interior Trim that deals with just what it says, there's also one for the chassis, that deals with parts attached to the unibody. There are also other books that deal with every component in the vehicle: engine, transmission, carburetor, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, oil pump and on and on and on. Years ago there was a fellow at Chrysler who would supply an individual drawing to Rick Ehrenberg to publish in Mopar Action and I "think" (no way of knowing for sure) that when this fellow retired, E-berg got all of his books, because he still occasionally publishes an individual picture. Except for the chassis graphics books which is 8½xs11", all of the other body related books are 11x17". And each one of them is hundreds of pages. Also, the books are arranged by body family types. In other words, where ever possible, F&M body stuff would be shown together. There will be NOTHING that is Volare specific - not even the page that shows the grille or the nameplate locations. Years ago, there was a literature dealer who showed up at a WPC meet who claimed to have BOUGHT a, in his words, COMPLETE set of books. I quickly realized the longer this guy talked, the less "Complete" his set of books was. If you look on ebay you can probably find the reprints he sells. The books that were originally 11x17 have been reduced to 8½x11 which makes them virtually unreadable. He only has some of the body related books for the late '60s to I think early '70s. You might try finding him to see if he actually has any books from 1976-1980, but I have no idea.

The best information that you have a hope in hell of getting is a final edition of a parts catalog. There are a number of exploded diagrams in those. You won't find explodes in the FSM. The FSM takes for granted that you're a trained mechanic and know what the hell you're doing, and only provides information on things you might not have ever seen before. The FSM is not a hand-holder book.

I see from all of the questions other people have posed that you haven't been able to tell any of us why you would want to disassemble a car down to its individual parts. Stripping a car down to the bare body shell, to repair rust or collision damage makes sense, but why on earth would you want to disassemble the unibody?

You do realize that when it comes to wagons ALL F&M body wagons are 99% the same. Nameplates, grillles, tail lights and mouldings might all be a little different, but the body shells are ALL the same. The doors are the same. All the glass is the same. All the door handles are the same. Except for the tail light openings between F&M cars. But all F wagon quarter panels are the same, All M wagon quarter panels are the same. All of the front end sheetmetal is interchangeable from any car to any other car. Fenders, hoods, grilles, bumpers. In 1980 even the fenders are the same. Only the header panels differ, but again, they can be swapped to any other F or M.

So, to finally answer your question, no what you're looking for doesn't exist. There are a number of different documents that will get you close, but there is no one document. The picture you showed looks like something released by the PR people, that was whipped up by the Body Engineering folks. Was a drawing like that ever done for wagons? No idea. Check ebay for Press Photos.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Chrysler did produce books that do exactly what you're looking for, down to the last individual piece, rivet and/or weld. They're called Graphics books. And there are maybe two or three sets not in the possession of Chrysler. But to assemble a car, you need several sets. There's Body In White, where the bare body shell is assembled, there's Interior Trim that deals with just what it says, there's also one for the chassis, that deals with parts attached to the unibody. There are also other books that deal with every component in the vehicle: engine, transmission, carburetor, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, oil pump and on and on and on. Years ago there was a fellow at Chrysler who would supply an individual drawing to Rick Ehrenberg to publish in Mopar Action and I "think" (no way of knowing for sure) that when this fellow retired, E-berg got all of his books, because he still occasionally publishes an individual picture. Except for the chassis graphics books which is 8½xs11", all of the other body related books are 11x17". And each one of them is hundreds of pages. Also, the books are arranged by body family types. In other words, where ever possible, F&M body stuff would be shown together. There will be NOTHING that is Volare specific - not even the page that shows the grille or the nameplate locations. Years ago, there was a literature dealer who showed up at a WPC meet who claimed to have BOUGHT a, in his words, COMPLETE set of books. I quickly realized the longer this guy talked, the less "Complete" his set of books was. If you look on ebay you can probably find the reprints he sells. The books that were originally 11x17 have been reduced to 8½x11 which makes them virtually unreadable. He only has some of the body related books for the late '60s to I think early '70s. You might try finding him to see if he actually has any books from 1976-1980, but I have no idea.

The best information that you have a hope in hell of getting is a final edition of a parts catalog. There are a number of exploded diagrams in those. You won't find explodes in the FSM. The FSM takes for granted that you're a trained mechanic and know what the hell you're doing, and only provides information on things you might not have ever seen before. The FSM is not a hand-holder book.

I see from all of the questions other people have posed that you haven't been able to tell any of us why you would want to disassemble a car down to its individual parts. Stripping a car down to the bare body shell, to repair rust or collision damage makes sense, but why on earth would you want to disassemble the unibody?

You do realize that when it comes to wagons ALL F&M body wagons are 99% the same. Nameplates, grillles, tail lights and mouldings might all be a little different, but the body shells are ALL the same. The doors are the same. All the glass is the same. All the door handles are the same. Except for the tail light openings between F&M cars. But all F wagon quarter panels are the same, All M wagon quarter panels are the same. All of the front end sheetmetal is interchangeable from any car to any other car. Fenders, hoods, grilles, bumpers. In 1980 even the fenders are the same. Only the header panels differ, but again, they can be swapped to any other F or M.

So, to finally answer your question, no what you're looking for doesn't exist. There are a number of different documents that will get you close, but there is no one document. The picture you showed looks like something released by the PR people, that was whipped up by the Body Engineering folks. Was a drawing like that ever done for wagons? No idea. Check ebay for Press Photos.
Oh my. I totally love this if you can bare with in short words , or even short explanation. A Volare wagon in short is merely a 4 door sedan with a wagon tail end. In order to do a,,,,,, 2 door the way I want to I have to use the front section from a Volare 2 door because the windshield is slanted more than a 4 door. I want to know where to drill out the spot welds from the A-pillar, to the lower door sills, to the floor pans, to the cross member, to the front frame rails. Including the door hinge locations, to the door latch locations and rear door B-pillar location. This dream build that I want to do is nothing like what you've seen or found on this website, or on the internet. In my words. It has to look like Chrysler Corporation actually built this car. That help any?

Back