Factory EFI or TBI system I can make work on my carb'd 88 318?

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I am not looking for all out power or mileage persay.. Just more or less looking for reliable starting and running. The way she sits now.. it will crack off at most any temp with a few pump-shots, but will take a while to warm up where low rpm driveability is suffering hard.

The car is just enjoyed as a classic cruiser that turns some serious head! I would love to bump up from the 140hp to like 250hp area with some slightly better gearing just to make it a little more fun.

Also the way it is, the 2.22 gears aren't THAT bad, she still gets up and boogies with the engine at friggan idle basically. Listening to it grunt through 2nd as your going up an in town grade and hear all the cars around you downshift 2 gears is a weirdly nice feeling.. lol

I am not opposed in anyway to using another brands EFI system at all! I was thinking maybe a 5.0/5.8L ford from like 1990 would be the best bet. Easily obtainable and tuneable.. Although that is leagues above me, it would need to be outsourced likely.

Any thoughts? leads? cool articles you've read? Thanks a ton guys :)

Pic is Feb 12th. Oldstart/Coldstart since early October! lol

2018-02-12 16.30.12.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
One hurdle with using a factory system, especially from another brand is making it actually function. The TBI systems are also integrated with the ignition system and obviously a Ford distributor and ignition system won't fit a Mopar. JMO only but, it would be way more trouble than it's worth just to get the car running, much less make it work correctly. About the only setup I can think of that could be made to retro fit is a TBI system off an early '90's Dodge truck. I don't remember what year they went to injection but '93 would be the final year for a TBI system. If it's anything like it is here, the last '93 Dodge pickup went to the cruise in the sky long ago. Finding one could be a problem. Sorry for being a spoil sport!

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Heh, no your not a johnny rain cloud! LOL

I wonder then if i'd have to go fully aftermarket.. but not like the holley or edelbrock bolt on $2300 systems.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The cheapest FiTech system is around $1300-1400 CAN. From the looks of things, it is easier to set up than the EZ-EFI system from F.A.S.T that I helped a friend out with. You may want to look at the next higher system, which has the ability to handle the ignition as well, and is ideal for use with the distributors in our cars (wants a distributor without vacuum or mechanical advance). I think Holley and MSD have systems that are close to that same price point.

Do not forget that an EFI type fuel pump will be required, and will add to the cost.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Summit racing has a kit in their catalog for 850. Years back, a few brave souls used the Chevy TBI set up. I believe it was actually for an inboard boat motor. I sort of remember seeing a few.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My current goal is to install big blocks into my ’77 wagon (with a 5 or 6-speed manual) and into my ’86 5th Ave (A727 or A518 automatic). Part of that changeover is to also install 4-bbl appearing fuel injection setups, for both (like possibly FiTech).

Meanwhile – my ’77 wagon has a stock 318 2-bbl (Carter BBD) carburetor and ignition system.
My ’86 5th Ave has a sorta stock system. The SCC (Lean Burn) computer is still attached and is running the ignition system – but the computer controlled Holley had been switched out with a non-computer controlled Carter BBD years ago.

I see where a person could make and sell a 2-bbl appearing fuel injection changeover setup for people who want great drivability, fuel mileage and for miminal work – much like what the 4-bbl appearing FI setups are doing.
If someone did sell a 2-bbl appearing setup – I would order two setups tomorrow (one for each car).

My plan is to obtain a pair of new fuel tanks (start fresh – a new tank per car) and install something like this into both tanks:
Fuel Tank Proposal.jpg

This is an add-in in-tank fuel pump with its own “well” so car won’t run out of fuel under high G-forces – which I subject my cars to, often.

I hadn’t decided on which 4-bbl appearing injection system to use, yet – but FiTech does look appealing to me, currently.

I would like to convert my 318’s over to FI without having to change intakes, that way when big blocks go in, the conversion won’t take long to complete. I don’t want to change small block intakes in car nor do I want the hassle of converting the kickdown linkages, either.

Even converting to pre-Magnum Throttle body injection setup is more work than I want to do (when you compare to the aftermarket setups – which are almost a breeze).
Removing (or installing) a cast iron intake – in car, is more than my back can handle.
Installing an aluminum intake, in car, is about the max I can handle - on a good day.

When I get done with the fuel injection conversion, no one will be able to tell, when hood is open.
On the '86, I might even leave the Lean Burn computer on the air cleaner, as a keepsake.
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If your tanks need to be replaced anyway (leaks or rust) that is a good way to go.

If not, FiTech also makes something called a Fuel Commander. it is added on after the mechanical fuel pump, and takes the fuel pressure from 5-7 lbs. to 63 lbs. needed by their fuel injection systems. It also has a well/reservoir that helps with the fuel sloshing problem. I on't personally happen to think that it is as good as the Aeromotive set up shown above, but it is something to consider for anybody who has an existing fuel system that is in good shape. I think the Fuel Commander is cheaper, and it is a much simpler way to go.

Back