factory F body dual exhaust?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes they did. The tailpipes were kind of a let down though. They ran both together over the rear axle to a "Y", through a resonator and then had only one pipe exiting the rear. Kind of ruins the effect, lol.

I did something similar on my car except instead of making a "Y" tailpipe, I ran both all the way out the back on the passenger side.

A photo of the '79 parts catalog page showing the pieces for E58 360.
DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
I have an old car mag somewhere that shows that exhaust system. I'm really a sticler for original but will duplicate mother nature with 2 1/4" back to mufflers and 2 1/2" y pipe/tailpipe. -no cat's

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
Actually the article showed normal dual exhaust back to mufflers but in front of gas tank the drivers side goes over to splice into single tailpipe

Gator

Reaction score
my 79 e58 runner has the dual exhaust minus the cat looks cool and different .thats what makes f bodies cool

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
My 80 Volare will become a perfect clone (everything covered but the v.i.n.) of 80 R.R.. 318 is '82, heads are '80 360, T.Q. & intake are '79 318, headers, 340 cam, low gear 904 from '82, police Dip. 8 1/4 posi (it's '83 so I think 2.94 and I can do 3.55), the police leafs/sway bar and I get rid of rubber isolater stuff. With 245 60's on the back I want 15.2 quarters and with 235 70's on the back I want 20 m.p.g. on the freeway. Am I asking to much?

Aspen500

Reaction score
No power steering? You must be young yet:D
Mine doesn't have power brakes but sometimes kind of wish it did. It'll stop fine but you really have to push that whoa pedal, lol!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are building the engine – I like your plan – but do recommend checking your parts and to make sure your compression rate level will be where you want it to be at.
The Compression rates were not good for the engines at that time, and even worse, if you place 360 cylinder heads onto a stock 318.

I’m not saying you will have problems – but only trying to prevent a problem before it becomes one (or if).
A low compression Chrysler small block is like dragging a battleship anchor behind your car.

All I’m saying is you might need to perform a few of measurements and you might also plan on a new set of pistons – just in case.

The 318 engine does not lend itself to be a performance engine.
The 340 and 360 engines do work well for performance engines and you will spend a lot less money to get a whole lot more smile.

Now to plant though, if you were to get a 360 block you would have 42 more cubes and could have a much better running car. To plant another though, if you did get a 360 block, a person could get a stroker crank kit and you could have a 400+ cubic inch small block – that almost everything you currently have bolted to existing 318, will also bolt to.

360 blocks are not too hard to find. I even have a couple spares in my garage I keep tripping over.
BudW

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
Not familiar with stock eliminator drag racing? I been drag racing 318's, and 360's for many years. I graduated from Dunwoody college of technology. I keep my Mopars original to the point they would be stock elim. legal (except for the 340 cam here in 80 R.R.) I'm amused when people have to stick a 440 in the a-body or f-body and a low comp 360 mops up on them

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
Aspen 500, I raced a lot at Eau Claire. My 71 B.Cuda 318 2bbl ran 15.90. One evening I went to Wausau and met the Mopar dudes. One gut had a stock kit car and we raced street light to street light and it was dead even. I told him that's right cuz kit cars ran 15.90 stock. There was a lime green 70 Dart that was made into a convert there.

Back