Father-daughter project- 79 Volare Premier

Mr C

Reaction score
I picked this 79 Volare premier today for my daughter. The body is so good (no rot at all), I couldn't say no. We're going to fix it up together. Slant 6 auto, no AC car...hasn't run since 2010, but we may be going 90's mpfi swap anyway.

Paid $100.00
HPIM2363.JPG
HPIM2370.JPG
HPIM2364.JPG

HPIM2373.JPG

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Excellent deal and even more excellent is the fact that you and your daughter can work on this together. Very large win win.

Justwondering

Reaction score
What grade is your daughter in? This really sets her apart from the other sheeple in the class.

slant6billy

Reaction score
That is killer- the car, the price, the plan. I too search a father/daughter mopar. I found a 78 aspen low option coupe. I'm thinking a penta star 3.6 with a supercharger making 500 hp and 30 mpg

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Nice. That grille is worth more than 5 times what you paid for the whole car.
When I first saw the post, I was going to say 'Run Away', because a grill is $500, but you lucked out on that.
A lot of folks have had their bubble burst not knowing about the grill shortage.
I'd buy a rotten 78/79 for $100 if the grille was nice.

Justwondering

Reaction score
slantbilly....
Could you explain more about your father/daughter project?
I'm was trying to explain to my husband about some of the projects you guys are doing. He was interested in the remark you had about the project and wanted to know more.

slant6billy

Reaction score
slantbilly....
Could you explain more about your father/daughter project?
I'm was trying to explain to my husband about some of the projects you guys are doing. He was interested in the remark you had about the project and wanted to know more.
So I ingested way too much plastic. Thus converted to estrogen and my estrogen levels were very high. Skip to the present- I have 3 daughters. My oldest was the icebreaker and rule breaker. She does not wear pink & does not wear dresses. She knew righty tighty/ lefty loosey- except old mopars o the steering wheel side since she was 4. She is going to high school next year. She chose the tech tract. 3D scanning, design, 3D printing. She refuse to go computer coding/ programming. So last month I found this by accident. A guy overheard me say I had a Volare acting like an Aspen. He did not have the title (yet), so I'm putting a little wait on the deal. If I lose out - I lose out. Got to have a title- Rule 1. Rule 2: get a cosmetically wrecked 2015 Challey with the 3.6 V6 and transplant the drive line and suspension. Then for added GO
Sprintex Blower Kit For V6 Dodge Challenger
:
image1 (1).JPG
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image2 (1).JPG

--- Post updated ---
I would hold out for the Hemi or Hellcat, but the damn line is too long. The vultures with wrenches are waiting in the shadows. A V6 challey are a dime a dozen.

Justwondering

Reaction score
So does it matter whether it is an aspen or a volare? Can you tell I'm looking for the 1970's project? I have the 80's covered, the game plan for the 60's, but no 70's project.

your daughter rocks! Strong women aren't necessarily the most popular in high school. At that age, the guys are full of testosterone and generally intimidated by ladies like that. But she will find her way. Its great that she's into 3d scanning/printing. She can always have a paycheck in the tech world. CAD/LASER/RepRap all that is great to learn and hard to find someone that can do it well.

Mr C

Reaction score
What grade is your daughter in? This really sets her apart from the other sheeple in the class.
Grade 11
--- Post updated ---
This car has 40k miles on it and sat in the original owners garage until last year ...it's been sitting outside one year. This thing is unbelievably rust free. I'm hoping I can get away with a cut polish and keep it as original as possible. Too bad the opera window was smashed along the line somewhere...the good thing is that it comes with a replacement. No missing pieces is a huge plus.

Justwondering

Reaction score
If she is in 11th grade, she's got a good strategy that must work for her relating to peer pressure.

You should be proud of raising such a great lady.

Sounds like this will be a very doable project she can accomplish (or help you accomplish as the case may be).

Look forward to seeing the progress.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I would stay away from all of those modern computer controlled engines, and drop something reliable, and classic in. A throttle body, early 90's magnum only has the one SMEC, so that could be much more doable for an upgrade.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I googled the acronym but came up with many things that aren't automotive related.
Whats an SMEC?

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Single Module Engine Controller - It was the name Chrysler gave to the proprietary engine controller they developed in the 80's for their fuel injected vehicles. Back then every manufacturer had their own proprietary controllers in an effort to keep customers coming back to the dealers for service, since the dealer had the only computer test equipment for these computers. No independent shop could afford factory test equipment for every manufacturers cars.

Here is what the old style 80's diagnostic DRB II scanner looks like:

upload_2016-5-1_12-29-22.jpeg

Justwondering

Reaction score
So are you saying that putting a 2015 engine in a 1977 car means you have to also bring along all the computer controls as well?

I thought I was reading where folks were bypassing epa add-ons.. she asked naively.

Back