First time entering into a Car Show

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have owned a number of vehicles through the years (in order)
’67 Satellite (Sold, then kid rolled car 2 weeks later),
’77 Cordoba (Sold, I heard car was totaled a month later, but un-confirmed)
’69 Road Runner (had to sell due to divorce, I heard fell off of flat semi-trailer and into oncoming traffic at highway speeds – but un-confirmed)
’70 300H (need more parts and a lot more $ before I start restoration – which I’ve said for 35 years now). Too long to fit into current garage.
’87 Shelby Daytona (my only new vehicle, was stolen)
’68 Charger (kid tossed firecracker in cracked open window, burnt to ground)
‘91 Caravan (died from rust/old age)
’92 Shadow America coupe (totaled, got me 35 MPG)
’90 Sundance (it left with ex-wife)
’89 Pontiac Grand Am (came with current wife, sold, then died in tornado a couple months later)
’98 Stratus (2.4L – fun to drive, sold, then totaled a month later)
’96 Town and Country (died due to old age)
’94 Dodge ¾ ton diesel pickup (totaled)
’97 Dodge ¾ ton diesel pickup (gets me 24+ MPG – not bad for a vehicle weighing 9000 pounds).
’00 Town and Country (totaled)
’86 5th Ave
’84 Gran Fury AHB (badly rusted body, I robbed parts from then sold rest of the cancerous shell – which got crushed a month later), never driven, so not counted.
’02 Town and Country (totaled)
’77 Volare wagon (totaled)
'10 Town and Country

(18 vehicles in 39 years of driving).

Of all of vehicles mentioned, only one is worthy to be entered into a car show, the Volare wagon, which I will be doing in three weeks.

I need two pieces of advice before arriving with car at show (150 vehicle, all Mopar).
Other than giving a good bath, vacuum and wax job, what else is needed or recommended?

The other is wheels. This car is all stock (37k miles), except for replacement muffler and wheels. I have the original black 14” wheels with dog dishes - but too cheap to get them transferred (back) over. I was thinking about robbing the 15” black steel wheels/tires from 5th Ave for the weekend. The wheels have minor scratching from wire locking hubcaps – but would at least look stock once dog dishes are reinstalled.

Any ideas?

BudW

PS. After looking at the above list, I’m not sure I would purchase a vehicle from myself . . .

20160415_120542_resized.jpg

Edit: (details updated).

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
No ideas on the wheels, but remind me not to buy a car from you. 8 of your 17 cars have been totaled (some unconfirmed, and I am including the charger that burnt up).

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW
They must really love to see you at the insurance company. Wow, you've had an amazing car history.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Half occurred after sale was complete.
The other half wasn’t necessarily my fault.
All of which occurred in over 34 years of driving.

My questions are (in case were missed):
“Other than giving a good bath, vacuum and wax job, what else is needed or recommended?” (before showing the car at show)

And “Wheels”?

Roadrunner360

Reaction score
She's perfect just as she is.........nice wagon! Just bring a comfortable lawn chair and enjoy the day!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
After a good wash my new favorite product is Meguier's spray on wax. Spray it on and wipe it off and you get a pretty damn nice shine. I also hit the chrome and the taillight lenses with it.

For the interior.....any good product that is not made by Armour All.

For tires....even though it's made by Armour All I really like their Extreme Tire Shine Gel.

Wheels.....if you go with the black steelies clean the rims well and hit them with the spray wax. If you leave the ones you have on there now. Nevr Dull metal polish works very well and will also do a fantastic job on your doggies if you decide to go with them.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how they grade at car shows. 150+ cars and all Mopars. 40 some classes and I think one class is all stock (or survivor, or something to that effect).

I can’t picture that many F-bodies showing up, as well as any car as stock as this car is in.

Radiator hoses were leaking (changed) and original drive belts didn’t look very good (frayed), so other than those two items, wheels, muffler and normal maintenance items, the rest of car is still original.

No, I’m not going to look for NOS belts or hoses. This car won’t ever have the value other cars will have.

Sure is fun to drive, though. A high revving 318 2 bbl, automatic, 3.21:1 gears and relatively light weight (plain Jane/no options), this thing will be at the other side of an intersection before most cars can take off. After the intersection - it sounds sweet, but the powerband has left the building.

I suspect any performance modifications will kill the fun factor on this car.

After thinking about it over the weekend, I’m going to change the wheels back to the original ones – mainly because I never did care much for these to begin with.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I entered into my first car show Saturday. A Mopar only show and a nice spread of about 100 cars showed up. Two Superbirds, a ’69 Charger 500 (never seen one in person before), about 15 Hemi cars, including one that looked exactly like my ’69 (383) Road Runner, I had.

There were two other FMJ cars present, an Imperial and a Mirada. Both cars were part of one club member’s collection of 28 (?, I might be wrong) cars, eight of which he took to this show (not all FMJ’s). I need to look at pictures, but I think he had three ’71 Hemi cars there (poor guy).

There was not an F, an M or even a J class – but did have a class for just about everything else. The class I was entered into was “Daily Driver Pre 1978” – and that could have been against more than ½ the entries, possibly.

Several people who walked by said my wagon was in the top 10% of the cars there. I wasn’t sure if people were just trying to make me feel good or what - but nice to be heard – with the quality of cars present.
20160611_105017.jpg
20160611_110922.jpg
20160611_110803.jpg
20160611_111438.jpg
20160611_111343.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
20160611_111605.jpg
20160611_122546.jpg
20160611_110534.jpg
This Fiat 500 won 2nd place (two cars in class) in Front Wheel Drive class, behind a rough '89 Chrysler New Yorker (E-body).
20160611_113157.jpg

Anyone want to guess what this is?
20160613_100813.jpg

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Nicely done sir!:D
I'm partial to body color steelies on the plain jane wagons myself.

Thats an Alfa Romeo 4C coupe. Carbon fiber and aluminum, 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, top speed of 160mph. ZOOM ZOOM!!!:)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the car and thought to my self "what da ___". then I saw the Alfa Romeo logo, and thought, if the Fiat 500 can enter then why not.
I didn't think we had any Alfa's in Oklahoma.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm partial to body color steelies on the plain jane wagons myself.
I’m going to convert my wagon (and my 5th Ave), to mid-70’S B-body 12” disk/11” drum brakes. When I do, I will get 15” police wheels painted to body color (sense 14” wheels won’t fit).

The black wall tires with black wheels – look off (but better than the mags that were on car, a couple of days ago).

BudW

wvdodgemirada

Reaction score
Great job, well deserved! That is by far one of the coolest trophies I've seen, congratulations!

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW... I am so proud of you! While it is still fresh in your mind, what advice do you have for first time show entries?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It was a sunny, cloudless day at 95’ F. A big hat and a lot of cold ones . . .

Didn’t get a chance to chat with any of the judges - but chat with a lot of casual observer’s. Even let a couple of kids sit in the driver’s seat (I don’t see any of the Hemi Road Runners or GTX’s owners allowing that).

I took the original wheels and got tires transferred from the mags on Thursday. When I did, Waxed the wheels and shined the hubcaps. My plans for Friday for a nice detail, wax job and window cleaning - that did not take place.
So far (to date), the only car part I have ever waxed, was the wheels and air cleaner lid, on Thursday.
The only thing else I did get done was wash car, wipe down with towels, and vacuum the interior.

I will need to refer you to someone else for better instructions on car shows. I “think” having a clean engine compartment helped (much like what you are trying to do to your 5th Ave) and think it was 1/3rd of the judging (body, engine and interior).

During the show, I had an idea of getting a small ice chest, a small beach ball, umbrella and hat and sticking in the rear portion of the wagon (inside display) – but not sure if that would have helped (or hurt).

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
It was a sunny, cloudless day at 95’ F. A big hat and a lot of cold ones . . .

Didn’t get a chance to chat with any of the judges - but chat with a lot of casual observer’s. Even let a couple of kids sit in the driver’s seat (I don’t see any of the Hemi Road Runners or GTX’s owners allowing that).

I took the original wheels and got tires transferred from the mags on Thursday. When I did, Waxed the wheels and shined the hubcaps. My plans for Friday for a nice detail, wax job and window cleaning - that did not take place.
So far (to date), the only car part I have ever waxed, was the wheels and air cleaner lid, on Thursday.
The only thing else I did get done was wash car, wipe down with towels, and vacuum the interior.

I will need to refer you to someone else for better instructions on car shows. I “think” having a clean engine compartment helped (much like what you are trying to do to your 5th Ave) and think it was 1/3rd of the judging (body, engine and interior).

During the show, I had an idea of getting a small ice chest, a small beach ball, umbrella and hat and sticking in the rear portion of the wagon (inside display) – but not sure if that would have helped (or hurt).
Kinda hard to improve on a first place finish. Nice job.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
First place there, and car of the month here; you are on a roll with that car. Well done!

Back