Flip Top Gas cap installation #2

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My ‘77 Volare wagon was begging for a pop up gas cap adapter, so I bought one.
I had an old (and beat up) ‘67 GTX gas cap and trim ring, as well as a gas cap from my ‘68 Charger (which caught fire/burnt up 20-some years ago). All 3 pieces are not in good condition - but at the time, there were no repops available, so I hung onto them.

I was wondering about the trim ring, sense the ‘67 GTX, Belvedere and Satellite all used the same quarter panels - and screw on cap size is or roughly the same size - but GTX used the trim ring/pop up cap.
The GTX trim ring is not quite 5-½" in diameter.

You might not be able to see, but that aluminum trim ring is missing about a third of the sprayed on texture and is pretty much beat up. I figured that sense a pop up cap was going on, I might as well try the trim ring on for size.
Note: I will be purchasing a new repop cap and trim ring soon. Matter of fact, if someone is looking for a poor condition popup gas cap, send me a note, I have two.

The first thing I noticed is the gas cap and trim ring are angled. Both are wider/thicker on lower edge than upper edge (see pictures). I don’t know if that is because bodies slope in - or what. The original caps always opened at the rear.

The adapter would not fit inside of the trim ring. I measured both and adapter is 2-1/8" outer diameter and trim ring is 2" outer diameter. My trim ring was beat up, so I went ahead and cut out the inner portion.
A mock installation shows, with a modified trim ring, the ‘67 GTX trim ring will fit and work on our F-bodies.
Now with that said, the trim ring fit flush all the way around the quarter panel - but had a slight gap where it mounted to the adapter (roughly 1/8"). That will pull in when it is screwed in - and I plan on using gaskets between adapter and car, and adapter to ring, so part of that 1/8" will be taken up.
The outer gasket wont seal anything, but it will keep the trim ring off of the vehicle paint.

My adapter will not need to be painted - for it won’t be seen with cap in place.

If the adapter could be machined down to slightly under 2" outer diameter as well as have corners rounded, the two items might work together without modification.

BudW
--- Post updated ---
More Pictures.

Note: I still need to drill the adapter before job is complete. Finished pictures coming up soon.
--- Post updated ---
I owned a ‘67 Satellite at one time (and wished I hadn’t sold it). I had purchased a ton of ‘67 GTX parts from a guy who needed money bad, (the cap / ring in picture are part of that lot). The gas cap never got installed before I sold the car, so didn’t look into what it took to make it fit.

Take a look at this ebay lot Mopar 66 67 GTX Satellite Belvedere Gas Fuel Cap Trim Ring Bezel 1967 NEW .

I wonder if this kit would make this easier. Not sure if the adapter would fit our existing holes, but would be great if it did.

77 Volare SW before.jpg

Adaptor and spare parts.jpg

67 GTX trim ring - Angle.jpg

Cap angle.jpg

orginal 67 GTX cap and ring.jpg

Orginal trim, not in good condition.jpg

Ring and adaptor, not woring together.jpg

Adaptor 8.125 inch.jpg

Trim ring 2.0 inch.jpg

Triming old ring.jpg

Cap with and without trim ring.jpg

Modified ring with adaptor.jpg

Before drilling.jpg

67 GTX trim ring after modification.png

Repop 67 GTX 3 piece set.jpg

Repop 67 GTX 4 piece set.jpg

DCAspen

Reaction score
70-74 Challenger cap and Trim ring fit perfect,All you need to do is drill 4 new mounting holes in your filler neck and fit a small gas cap inside like a stant one.I unscewed the cap off the back of an original cap and bent the ends up to act as a handle.Did this back in the 90's on my first Aspen.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
who sales these adapters
You will need to "search" before March 2016 in either this section or in the “For Sale” section. I do not remember the members name, right off.
BudW

Note: It will only work on F-body, or a MJ-body with a lot of body modification (because of the fuel door).

79blueghost

Reaction score
I want it for my F body
I was looking at the Challenger fliptop it's turned the wrong way

Back