for those not running headers

picklesgarage

Reaction score
its funny some days rock shows having it others not so much.
there is a place in concord i was going to check out after i dig it back out and get working on it and see what they want to do it. no one local has a bender that i have found that i would trust to do a job on a vehicle going to the junk yard let alone something i plan to drive everyday. its quite enough as it is that you cant tell there are holes unless you get under it to see them

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Before I ordered, I saw it fit Plymouth and didn’t think about nor investigate it more. The Plymouth versions this part does fit is the pickup/Ramcharger versions that Plymouth made for a couple of years. I would agree, it is for pickups and it shouldn’t fit FMJ’s.

The pickups have the oil pan sump in rear part of oil pan where as FMJ’s (or Chrysler cars, in general) are in mid-section of oil pan.
318 pickup  pan.jpg

318 pickup (early '90's version shown)
318 car pan.jpg

318 car pan

Also, pickups use an identical appearing exhaust manifolds for small blocks for both sides (center dump).
4041466 Right 318.jpg

FMJ’s use a rear outlet exhaust manifold on drivers’ side, to clear the steering gear.
4095244 Left 318.jpg

My ’77 wagon does use a pickup style center dump manifold on passenger side of car (as shown above).

My ’86 Fifth Ave uses a slightly offset center dump manifold on passenger side, so because of this, there is a difference between the early and later FMJ Y-pipes (if one wasn’t to account for the difference for the pre-catalytic converters on the “non-Canadian” Y-pipes).
4173148 Right 318.jpg

I hadn't seen the part yet but will contact my brother. he has a couple of older pickups that he might want to trade me for - so no loss on my side. It just won't fit either of my two cars, though (not without a torch and/or a sledge hammer).
BudW

picklesgarage

Reaction score
was reading another post on here a while back and found it again, is everyone that is running headers running long tube headers? do none of the shorts work or is it more about better flow/power with the long tubes?

8T2TOP

Reaction score
So did these wonderful "new" pipes come in? Are they fitting in a FJM?
Did Canada ship ANY or are they G O N E?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Those y-pipes seem to made in batches. They've been going in and out of stock for several years. A few places seem to be showing them in stock right now.

BudW- a mopar buddy of mine ran into that manifold outlet problem with his y-pipe. He stuck a big bar in whatever side pipe it was and bent it where it had to go. It might have been putting an R body y-pipe or something different onto a 5th. Im running a y-pipe from a 70s M and it fit my 1988 with no problems.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
No place I 've seen has them and have been trying for years...
70s M with no cats same pipe...
76-80 F 80-83 J 77-89 M...

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Going by memory (which can be a not-so-good idea), I recall there is seven different Y-pipes used for FMJ's in US/Canada (and maybe more?):
- 360 (single exhaust (front half))/318 police without pre-cats.
- '70's 360 with almost dual exhaust the (Y-pipe is by the differential)
- 318 police with 2 pre-cats
- 318 (non-police) with 2 pre-cats.
- 318 (non-police with 1 pre-cat.
- Two different versions (pipe size) of 318 without pre-cats.

The term “pre-cat” refers to the catalytic converters a short distance from exhaust manifold(s). Almost all (not quite all) FMJ's came from factory with a catalytic converter underneath the passenger side front seat – so when the term catalytic converter is used – it is always referring to the one under the seat. Pre-cat is always referred to the ones by the exhaust manifolds.

This Y is from a '84 Gran Fury police car and was original. The exit pipe size is 2¼” on this pipe.
20200408_104826r.jpg

I had to cut off manifold flange ends because the nuts were rounded off. With those pre-cats so close to the exhaust manifold fasteners – it can be a bear to do, even if rust wasn't a concern.
Also, this Y weights a good 3-4 times more than the Y, below.

This is a Y from a '80 Aspen wagon 318 2-bbl. The exit pipe size is 2”.
20200408_104702r.jpg

It looks exactly like the Y from my '77 wagon 318 2-bbl – but its exit pipe size is 2½”.

Unrelated, this is the pickup Y-pipe mentioned earlier in this thread – and you can see how it is bent a lot differently (because of the engine oil pan).
20200408_111333r.jpg

Also – so many comments could be made about this next picture – but I'll bite my tongue
20200408_111401r.jpg

BudW

8T2TOP

Reaction score
A talented pipe bender should be able to duplicate at least close enough,sure wont be $75 like the y pipe.

Elwood P Dowd

Reaction score
A talented pipe bender should be able to duplicate at least close enough,sure wont be $75 like the y pipe.
You must have cheaper muffler shop than around here, I don't even want to guess what they would charge in these parts

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I got an email a few moments ago:
Annotation 2020-05-23 021140.png

Save one for me - I get paid (next) Friday . . .
BudW

Edit, I click on the link, and guess what (sigh), they are out of stock. Maybe website is out of date?

picklesgarage

Reaction score
it let me order one the other day, then two days later got a cancelation notice from them.
i didnt realize the way the air tubes are attached to the manifolds. i might just have to switch out to headers. wasnt really part of my plan. for right now i just have one of the hoses connecting the two ends. need to get the steering done first

8T2TOP

Reaction score
it let me order one the other day, then two days later got a cancelation notice from them.
i didnt realize the way the air tubes are attached to the manifolds. i might just have to switch out to headers. wasnt really part of my plan. for right now i just have one of the hoses connecting the two ends. need to get the steering done first
Remember when YOU take off stock manis there will be air holes below exhaust ports that have to be plugged before headers can be installed..

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Under Floor and Under Hood were the two terms used on the cats. Dont look to be like pre cats, look to be like mini cats from the guts.

DSC00121.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
They are mini, they are underhood and definitely are catalytic converters.
It is a term we always used (as well as "post cat") when in the shop when they came out - and it stuck with me.

Who has the time to measure now many ci (IN3) a cat has?
BudW

MiradaCMX80

Reaction score
Do these 40430 pipes fit 1980 Mirada too? I half ass thought about redoing the single exhaust in a 2.5 inch for now, until I pull the engine for a refresh and add headers. It'd be nice to find one...I could do the single exhaust in my friends garage....

Back