Front shock absorbers removal

SixBanger

Reaction score
The straps were useless when the front kyb's were installed. It was required to jack up one side at a time for the lower bushing/washer/nut to be installed. Or to start the nut on the lower threads at all. A royal pain as the outer edge of the control arm appeared to be the only location to jack from. And there is the chance of crushing the lower ball joint grease fitting if not super careful. And the possible lifting off the jack stands in the process. There may be an easier process but reading from the charts and books was no help at all.

Thanks Poly, but. Meanwhile, I have already replaced the front shock absorbers. And actually it was an fast job to do. I could push them in like that. One of the original was well worn by the way.

Poly

Reaction score
Your welcome Six. When they(shocks) were removed the torsion bars were unloaded and allowed for much easier work.

volare 77

Reaction score
Sixbanger, I have two mopar bushing kits 3879212. I don`t know if they are the ones your looking for. Maybe somebody here knows??? Were your old ones a one piece bushing or two piece?

SixBanger

Reaction score
After some searching on the net the 3879212 should be for an fifth avenue or newer Dodge dokata/ram.
On rockauto stab. parts seems the same as volare parts.

I have not yet disassembled the attachment to the k-frame. But it seems to consist of two bushings per side (according to the ENERGY SUSPENSION kit). Do you know what the dimensions are? In the package were two for the K-frame, but I have this drilled up to make fitting to the control arm. ID was around 1/2 ". Thickness 0.63".

5_5110G_v1_20111004__ra_p.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
OK, I thought you were talking about the bushings that go on the top of sway bar brackets to the K frame. It appears the kit K7304 above shown has a bolt which is not needed so maybe that is for the end of the sway bar but I don`t think so since the holes look small in the pic? Or maybe it is a universal fit for other models too ? My 77 parts book shows 3879219 for the number for the kit that goes on top of the brackets or links (whatever they are called). The kits I have don`t have a bolt (since the bracket is threaded), there are two bushings, two washers and a nut. I was trying to find out if the 3879212 kits that I have will interchange or not. I don`t have a later year book to look in. The ones I have are like these. NOS MOPAR CUDA CHARGER SWAY BAR HARDWARE ATTACHING KITS 65-74 | eBay
The 3879219 mopar kits aren`t out there from what I see. I`m sure Moog or someone else makes them. The K7304 kit may be what you need but the bolt kinda throws me off. The bolt might be for the bottom end off the bracket where it goes around the sway bar???

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
BTW, they should be easy to find if those are correct as they fit later year car also. Also I remember the ones that came out of my car were one piece. They had a part number on them. That was why I was asking if you had the old one and was it original. The sway bar end bushings have a part number on them also. the part number for the end bushing is 3815721. They have a bigger hole and look like these. http://www.hiltopautoparts.com/product/nos-mopar-sway-bar-bushing-all-1976-8-f-m-body-models/

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
Not your fault. It doesn`t take much to confuse me. LOL I think the kits I have will work but you should be able to find them pretty easy. I don`t know how hard it is for you to get stuff for these cars locally to you. Amazon has the Moog K7304 kits for $5.44 each. Does Amazon ship to you???

Last edited:

SixBanger

Reaction score
Thanks Volare77. That 3815721 should be the right part. But
ordered that Moog part on rockauto. Amazon does ship the parts to holland. But couldn't fill up the shopping cart to get the free shipping ;)

SixBanger

Reaction score
I let know that the Moog set fits great. The original rubbers were due for replacement. And these did indeed consist of two separate components.
However, I have modified the PU material parts a bit on the lathe. I made the top ones (upper ones) a little thinner, so the nut fits easier, and the fit with the steel ring is better.
At the same time I also changed the steering gear with a better second-hand version that came from a dodge.
Which has made the steering behavior much tighter and more direct.

IMG_20190218_220439.jpg

Back