Fuel Pump Lesson Learned

Justwondering

Reaction score
I will admit I am a novice on car repair.
I learned a very valuable lesson regarding installing or generally mucking around with the mechanical fuel pump in my 87 Fifth Avenue.

InkedM60519_P04_ANG__ra_p_LI.jpg

Put a wrench on the connector shown by the red arrow if you plan on mucking with the fuel lines.

I did not.

My non-start, fuel issue is entirely my own fault.
Because I did not use a wrench on the connector and removed/reattached lines to ensure I didn't have things cross threaded or loose --
apparently I cracked the housing just behind the connector on the fuel pump.

It let just enough air in to cause problems but not enough to spew fuel.

I felt like such an idiot when my mechanic told me what the problem was.
Its so obvious in hindsight that the shape of the connector is screaming -- use a wrench.

Sigh

I have to get the car inspected and it comes home today after I pay for the help.

JW

volare 77

Reaction score
Your not alone. We all have made mistakes while learning to work on our cars. At least it wasn`t too costly of a repair. Hopefully they installed a quality pump as the airtek brand usually lasts a week or so. LOL BTW, rubber fuel line hose can do the same thing. When they crack they can cause suction issues even though they aren`t dripping fuel.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years, I have learned many a lesson the hard way. Sometimes by getting into a hurry (which causes more problems, by the way), not using the correct tools and the list goes on.

Part of me thinks I should have put up a “display of shame” on my garage wall with objects I’ve ruined over the years, to remind me to take my time and do it right the first time. Maybe even to teach my 12½ year old twins something. To be honest – I would have to build another garage just for the “wrecked” displays (but I won’t).
BudW

80mirada

Reaction score
I would need another garage, I could call it the I screwed it up museum. I broke the first Fuel pump I replaced, plus a bunch of other stuff

XfbodyX

Reaction score
We all got them, after the third junk water pump from the parts store in like 1981 on a 318 aspen coupe and using industrial silicon on them and needing a hammer and a wooden block to break them loose I got into the radiator so in my combination of hast and being pist off while removing the trans lines to remove the rad, I THOUGHT it was just the end of the fitting turning but I wasnt seeing the trans lines twisting up and off....grrrrr nothing a couple easy compression couplers didnt fix but dang things just kept stacking up.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's the way you learn, by making mistakes and screwing things up. If you hadn't, you never would have learned what the right way and wrong way to do something is. The trick is to not make the same mistake twice.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here is a good one, dont fire off a car while under the hood at the relay to set high idle while forgetting you left it in reverse.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
No it didnt, it cost me a fender and a door as it was 3/4 pulled into the shop. It pealed the door back into the fender and got hung up so I could get it shut down, had it backed clean out it would of nailed three newer nice rides. Its always a toss up on how much to risk ones safety vs just letting things play out.

Some things ya never forget.

volare 77

Reaction score
I remember a fuel pump was one of the first things I changed on my first car a 66 Dodge with a 361. I struggled with installing the pump after the push rod dropped down in the way once removed. Then i struggled with getting to stay up while I installed the pump. Funny how I remember that stuff but sometimes I can`t remember what happened yesterday. LOL

Justwondering

Reaction score
I appreciate the tales of woe.
Does make me realize there is quite a bit of 'experience' that we lose as folks age out of the hobby.

The 87 Chrysler needed an inspection and failed when the brakes went spongy.

After a few hours, it turns out the calipers were a problem and the 'proportioning ?' valve needed to be replaced.

I'm having to look that up.

Anyway, I told him don't give it back til its good. I'm still learning drum brakes and didn't want to add yet another project to the list. His supplier doesn't stock this 'old stuff' so he's having to get it off the net somewhere.

Meanwhile the Guys from the State putting in the 96 inch water line have finally got their tract hoes to the property so I'll be dealing with that for the next week or so.

JW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Here I am, FINALLY, I have the 87 Fifth Avenue Home.

It needed an inspection.
However, it failed the brake portion of the inspection because ...

drum roll .....

spongy brakes.
Fine the day before, and spongy the day I went to pick up the car.

Turns out it was the proportioning valve.
Which the mechanic had a tough time getting from his supplier and finally gave up and then pulled it from the car.
Spent a few days removing the gum and gunk from it and generally cleaning it out so he could reuse it.

Tomorrow is my day to go back through it and begin cleaning it.
After sitting so long, its a bit musty and dirty.

Already put the Mister in it and he says its much better!
I reminded him we have to drive it 1 or 2 times a week or it will quit running again -- he smiled and said he could do that.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Those proportioning valves are pretty much unavailable new unless of course, it's certain years A, B, or E body (or Camaro, Chevelle, etc). Used is about the only option. Fortunately they rarely fail.

96" water LINE? That sounds more like an aqueduct! lol

The Director

Reaction score
My idiot move was taking the brake pads off of a caliper that seized to free up the wheel, and I ended up getting a bunch of air in the brake lines as I took the car slowly home, from my friend's garage. Turned a caliper replacement job into a bigger hassle than it should've. I should've just gassed it harder for the 4 blocks I was away from my house when it seized. I'll never forget that one.

Back