Fuel system questions

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Ran Modoba down the strip with the fuel gage showing about 1/2 a tank, got to 5400 in second and it started to nose over, shifted to third, seemed ok but soon nosed over again so i just let off the gas and coasted through the traps. I thought maybe the float bowls went dry, so I filled the tank all the way up and tried again. this time I ran it up to 6000 in 1st, no problem. Ran to 5500 in second, no problem. I think the float level is not the issue. So here is the million dollar question. Does the sock on the pickup tube in the tank do more than screen the fuel? Does it also help absorb the fuel to the pickup? The reason I ask is mine did not have a sock on the pickup so I never put one on it. Give me your ideas, suggestions, and theories. Thanks-Troy

tim berry

Reaction score
troy i dont run a sock on my fuel pick up i had the unit modifyed so there is three lines comming out one supply one vent and one return . the strainer can become a restriction if the tank has crud in it (not your problem) you may still have a fuel stavation situation because of fuel line size 5/16 . you may need to go to 3/8 or larger . you may also have crud in the line itself that has accumulated over the years and is effectively making the line smaller in diameter adding to the problem . what i did to minumize fuel starvation problems was to install a 3 port fule regulator on one port i have a tee on top is a fuel pressure gage on the bottom i have a jet from a holly carb i think its a # 47 i use this for a metered return this eliminates the fuel pump from vapor lock ,as rpm increases every thing works fine ill post a photo if you want one .

Back