Fuel tank for My Imp

My imp

Reaction score
My Imp has a Holley external fuel pump, no mechanical pump, & I would like to convert to either straight mechanical, or, electrical & mechanical. Will the fuel tank listed on eBay for Mirada's work on my Imp? The Imp tank is 17 gal, the Mirada's is twenty. I know the sending unit is different due to the electric pump. What is the best way to do this? If I can use the Mirada tank, will I be able to use the Imp sending unit w/integral electric pump? Isn't the trip comp. tied into the sending unit (I'm being lazy here, I haven't dug into the fsm to find out) wiring & lines? Thank you, Larry

Last edited:

Bryan M.

Reaction score
I converted mine to straight mechanical using a Mirada tank. Be prepared to possibly reroute lines. What I'm currently fighting with is getting the gauge to give me a proper readout...right now I'm using the trip computer and guesswork to make it.

My imp

Reaction score
That was one question I had. I 've had digital dashes repaired before, I wonder if they can also be re-calibrated? Full=20 instead of 17 gal.'s, etc.. I'll see if I can find out. I haven't dropped my tank yet, and have no idea what I'll find when I do. I don't know if the factory pump is still there or replaced by a piece of hose? Or what. Would the in tank + Edelbrock mechanical + external regulator be the way to go? I just picked up a roll of 3/8" high quality steel line from Summit. I plan to run a new line to up to a mechanical pump & then up to my plastic fantastic. Thank you, Larry

83Imp

Reaction score
I have the dash out of my parts car (need to put it in my garage queen 'cause its dash readout is fried) and don't see anywhere where there's a solenoid/module or anything else to adjust on it (unless there's a chip inside the ODO cover). If the new sending unit doesn't register correctly on the dash, there's got to be a way to adjust the reading somehow (it's just resistance).

The stock Imperial in-tank pump/sending unit will not work in the new gas tank - it's a lot bigger in diameter. I have a new tank and sending unit ready to install in mine too as soon as I can get it jacked up and drop the old one. I do know the PO never took the in-tank pump unit out, he just wired in the Holey elec pump up on the frame rail near the fuel lines and wire harness. He then proceeded to hack the wiring to use the stock circuit (ASDM hot to fuel pump wire) to power the pump when the key turns on. You're right... it's too damn noisy for this car.

I'm going to remove that whole ugly ASDM wiring mess, along with the fuel supply and return lines back near the coil when I get the new tank in, and plumb a new stainless line from the front pass side frame rail up to near the new mechanical pump.

My imp

Reaction score
I agree, once full drops down to 14 gal., they could be the same. It's just a matter of adding a resistor. Summit has copper/nickel tubing in rolls that are superior to parts store lines, but cheaper than stainless & all subsequent AN fittings. I need to do the same with running lines. Thank you, Larry

My imp

Reaction score
Does your trip comp work well with the flow control valve? I still haven't found one. Any comp geeks out there tried to wire one in from say an 88 LeBaron convertible w/trip comp? Where is the flow control valve located on the FWD fuel systems? Thank you, Larry

Back