Gas Gauge Woes...

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Other night trying to squeak by the gas stations, I ran out of gas. Car sat for a couple days. After pouring 15.00 worth of gas in tank, (hair over 4.2 gals) I noticed the gauge was totally unresponsive. The rest of gauges are working fine. (Temp, Alt) Where should i start looking? Grounds, power, gauge itself? Has always worked in the past. I even "bumped" on the cluster/dash trying too get a response, to no avail.... I'm stove up with health issues so wanted to start in the right place to begin with. ( its extremely hard for me to get up and down from the ground) Thanks!! ( BTW '76 Volare)

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Sending unit grounding strap that clips on sending unit and metal line of the gas tank. Sorry that means getting on the ground.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Sending unit grounding strap that clips on sending unit and metal line of the gas tank. Sorry that means getting on the ground.

Thanks Brem, will check there first, was just an incidence that it quit when it did...:confused4: I will try and wiggle under it a little later today, and If I cant, I'll send my 19 year old under...:laughing7:

BHA43

Reaction score
Test light or volt meter to a good ground @ the rear, other lead to sender wire. If all is good you should have "flashing" voltage. (5v I think) then it is either a sender prob. or sender ground. (the strap)

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
With the sending unit wire off and a meter on the ohms scale. One lead to the sending unit and the other to a good ground you shoud read about 10 ohms enpty and about 70 ohms full.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Thanks guys... it actually 'fixed' itself.. this am jumped in fired it up and had bout a quarter tank reading...lol go figure.. betting the ground needs cleaned....

Back