gas tank paint???

volare 77

Reaction score
What color /type of paint do you use on the gas tank to get a similar look of the original finish? I don`t think it is good enough to just clear coat.

tankhump.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
BTW, I have Eastwoods tank tone and the color seems off and it seems to scratch easy.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Some of the wheel paints look good if you use a clear cote over them. Prep with a Scotch brite pad, prime of need be then paint.

volare 77

Reaction score
I do have some mopar rallye wheel paint I can test out. Does anyone refinish/recoat gas tanks?

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I have seen in shows where painted gas tanks on a stock vehicle will doc points if not the original galvanized finish.
I have painted several new gas tanks for customers, body color was what they wanted.

4speedjim

Reaction score
Argent is close but its tough to copy galvanized. Urethane clear is probably the most durable over a new tank for a judged car because it wont change the appearance. Dull aluminum might work well but for a judged car Id think a stock repro tank would be best, body color sounds very sharp if you had to hide blemishes or weren't going for factory original 1000 point car.

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
I used Duplicolor Aluminum engine paint. Still holding up great. I could care less what the judges think.

volare 77

Reaction score
76-77 tank. no repro available. I`m not to worried about judging either but I would like it to look OE. Any pics? anybody?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Id use a matt clearcoat but very lighty or just paint it silver, that is a nice as the new humped one in the box I have but what does the side that sees the weather look like?

nos tank.JPG

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
I have a NOS one thats not perfect either for my other car. I had two and sold one some years back. Now I wish I would have kept it. The other side is not horrible and has a few small dings. I`ll see more when I get the rest of the paint stripped off.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Even if there was new '76/'77 hump tank made, the replacements have a different finish than originals anyway I think). It's not really galvanized but more aluminized appearing. This is the one in my car, a new Spectre that I put in during "the build".

The camera flash kind of ef'd it up but you get the idea. The only thing I did was clean it good with wax and grease remover and gave it a couple coats of Eastwood satin clear for bare metal paint to keep it from oxidizing. That was over 5 years ago and so far, it's holding up very good.

DSCF0001.JPG

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I forgot I had another humper in my junk pile, I think I might try to soda blast it with low pressure and see if it looks oem.

junker.JPG

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Volare77, your looks like a replacement tank with the rollover valve vs just a vent in it possibly.

volare 77

Reaction score
Must be a early or late thing. Dunno. I had a 76 with the vent line like yours and I had a 77 with the valve like the one I have in the pic. My NOS tank needs the valve.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I have painted several new gas tanks for customers, body color was what they wanted.
I've never seen that. Interesting idea.
I`m not to worried about judging either but I would like it to look OE.
I agree. I like the stock look, but when it comes to having judges pick apart my car, nah, not interested.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t mind judges telling me what they think – for maybe they see something or know something, I don’t.
With that said, I don’t want a GM or a Ford expert telling me what is correct for their brand of cars.

I’m getting to the age that its worth my time to just get a new (repop) fuel tank, and be done with it. The only problem is my wagon was made in November 1976 . . .
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
Seems to be cleaning up pretty well with some steel wool. I may just clear coat. I have some PPG clear coat but I would like a matte finish.

volare 77

Reaction score
Ok, Some things I found out about the 76-77 f body hump gas tanks. Two styles, one with the roll over valve (77) and the other with the vent tube (76) which i actually already knew about. A couple other things i didn`t know was that the tank mats are even different between the two. Also the tank straps are different between 76 and 77. They are the same size but the "t" on the end that locks into the underside of the trunk area are notched different. The 76 strap was too wide to rotate in the notched area on the 77 underside of the trunk. I compared the two straps and the "t" area on the 76 strap was wider. I don`t know when they actually made the change. The 77 strap also has a extended curved area where it bolts to the underside of the body. The 76 strap doesn`t have that. I guess it is for strength. Dunno. I ground the 76 strap some in the "t" area and it fit the 77 fine. Other then the vent tube I assumed they were exactly the same. Proved me wrong.

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
Btw, I ended up painting the tank because I fixed a couple small dings which i couldn`t do if I just clear coated.

Last edited:
Back