Great tone from this exhaust system

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
What do you think of the sound/exhaust tone this 340 makes.

The owner states he is or was after the original 273 super commando "sound".

Anyone have any information on what the muffler was that he put on?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Makes me miss my Dart. About 25 years ago, I owned a '66 Dart GT with the Commando 273. It had the stock exhaust and IIRC, the intermediate pipe was 2 1/2" (could have been 2 1/4" however) and between the muffler and resonator was 2 1/4". It sounded awesome, especially when the clutch was pressed to shift and the engine wound down, and at WOT. Massive intake roar from the unsilenced air cleaner, massive exhaust roar from the back!. Wasn't as loud though, it had the underbody muffler along with the big resonator but still far from quiet. Wish I had that car yet......................
The resonator in the video is either NOS or a reproduction piece. Think I heard him say it was a repop.

Not my car but this is the stock exhaust for a Commando 273 Barracuda and Dart. The one on my Dart looked exactly like the pic, except not as shiny.
dart gt exh.jpe

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
Makes me miss my Dart. About 25 years ago, I owned a '66 Dart GT with the Commando 273. It had the stock exhaust and IIRC, the intermediate pipe was 2 1/2" (could have been 2 1/4" however) and between the muffler and resonator was 2 1/4". It sounded awesome, especially when the clutch was pressed to shift and the engine wound down, and at WOT. Massive intake roar from the unsilenced air cleaner, massive exhaust roar from the back!. Wasn't as loud though, it had the underbody muffler along with the big resonator but still far from quiet. Wish I had that car yet......................
The resonator in the video is either NOS or a reproduction piece. Think I heard him say it was a repop.

Not my car but this is the stock exhaust for a Commando 273 Barracuda and Dart. The one on my Dart looked exactly like the pic, except not as shiny.
View attachment 41888

Thanks for your input and photo. I May never build my car to be fast, but capturing this sound does not seem like it will be impossible. Converters will probably effect it some, but it seems worth the try anyhow.

Back