Guys with 8 1/4 Rear Ends

Oldiron440

Reaction score
An Ford 8N with a flathead V8 is fast!

Something that I have always wanted to do.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
OI, that kinda setup is cool but kinda a death trap due to the speed it could run, the old little fords like that are spooky as in in the steering dept. Anything more then oem speed will bring on a jeep like death wobble, I know first hand unfortunately.

Ive a 4020 that came with a 404 inch non turbo diesel and put a 466 inch turbo motor in it. (same motor as my newer 4340) Its a substantial power increase so ive not twisted it too hard. I had it on my pto shaft water dyno and stopped when I hit 2x what it should have stock.

The one locked in two gears is a old Super H I hope if I jack it up and rock the wheels I can get the most angry of the two to pop out for now.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
not a chrome hater at all.
I just have never seen any value in chroming every single chromeable part.
Motoramas (and similar shows) I went to in the 70's north east u.s. were loaded with cars that had everything they could chromed. Everything.
It was a LOT cheaper to get good chrome then so that explains a lot of it. You had to have it done, a lot of "stock parts" parts werent available already chromed.
My older brother and I worked for a speed and custom/body shop supply house in syracuse, ny. then.
A bunch of the cars at the shows I saw being "created" at my customers shops.
Saw some awesome paintjobs in process...endless lines, lace, etc.
Saw some one purpose only, never meant to be used, pretty much non-functional sculpted bondo creations too. They looked great from the velvet rope distance. lol

btw...I paint aluminum intakes engine color when its my build:D

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I'm going to put a cover on my 8.8 that's a girdle and puts a load on the bearing retainers. I'll paint it the same color as the axle assembly.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I actually took the girdle off to put the chrome cover on my one S60, Im not fully convinced of how well the girdle system works and my car is a auto foot break car and ive already billet caps on the spool.

Justwondering

Reaction score
The current tractor I'm working on is 1957 330 International Utility tractor with a front end loader bucket.

Learning that I don't know squat about hydraulic hose sizing or connectors so I just had a crash course and instruction from another forum.
Its my go-to project for days I need a mindless task to take my mind off healthcare issues.

And yes, the tractor forum crowd is a much less rowdy bunch than you guys.

I agree with Bud about the lace. o_O

JW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Back then?
There still doing it!

Less rowdy than there would have headstones.

Last edited:
Back