Headliner material question

Chris in GA

Reaction score
New here so I apologize in advance if this has been covered. I searched but didn't find what I needed.

I have an 89 Fifth Avenue that needs all headliner and fabric covered trim reupholstered. My question is this...do you use the same foam backed headliner fabric for all the trim pieces as well? If not, sources for matching materials? Thanks in advance. I am sure I will have more questions once I get into it. Love this forum!

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've had good luck with this place. It's where I bought my padded headliner material and also things like upholstery board for doing the luggage compartment

Factory Replacement Upholstery - Automotive Interiors

Can't answer the trim piece covering question though. I recall Justwondering (member here) had a big write up on doing her 5th Ave, with plenty of photo's.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
All trim but the metal strips over the doors is padded. The pillars hold up better if you can find something that matches color but isn't padded.

Camtron

Reaction score
I ditched the padding on the pieces I’ve done. Comes out great. I used a vinyl that’s used for boat seats https://www.joann.com/marine-vinyl/prd23669.html
color matches the red interior perfectly. It is a task to work and stretch it into position on some of the bends at the bottom of the B pillars but it’s doable (a cloth fabric would be easier but not what I wanted).
I can’t stress your prep enough. Specifically removing the old adhesive. You won’t get anything to stick (not for long anyway) without removing it completely. I used 3M adhesive remover, works great but more expensive than other adhesive removers. I also used a 3m adhesive specifically for headliners on all the pillar pieces and such I’ve done. Maximum hold. I really didn’t and don’t want to redo those pillar pieces again if I don’t have to.
You’ll likely damage a corner of the headliner too while removing it. Almost always happens. Can use fiberglass, epoxy, duct tape or whatever you feel like doing to put it back to shape.
The rear window came out rough, but it’s still stuck up there solid. I used one piece of fabric...because I don’t sew. If you can sew or have someone that can help recreate the original 2-3 piece pattern, it’d come out tits.

Looks better then the torn, cigarette burnt fabric that used to be there.

image.jpg

5661E649-5DE6-469C-8D68-50CAF5548BEF.jpeg

Justwondering

Reaction score
Camtron --- oh my .... I need a paint job but here I am figuring out how I can remove and recover all the pillars again. Oh I really, really like that look.
JW

Camtron

Reaction score
Camtron --- oh my .... I need a paint job but here I am figuring out how I can remove and recover all the pillars again. Oh I really, really like that look.
JW
Why, thank you. Thank you very much.

Back