Hedman shorty headers for big block swap?

kramer

Reaction score
I had an 82 Mirada many years ago sold it and now I am getting an 80 Mirada from my dad and going to put a 440 in it and have found alot of great info on here on doing that swap but I am looking at possibly using the 78070 hedman shorty headers as an option but when I searched that I found where a guy back in 2013 was asking the same question for is early 80's imperial and never got a response. Has anybody used these headers on these FMJ cars? If they wont work I was possibly going to use some 69 HP manifolds I have lying around.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they won't fit, looking at a photo of them. Looks like they're more made for street rods or something. From what I read also, the quality is lacking big time. Lots of 1 star ratings at Summit.

The HP manifolds may be a problem also. My original 440 (way back in '89) came from a '71 RR and the the HP manifolds were with the engine. The drivers side would have exited inside the car near the brake pedal, the right side exit was dead nuts lined up perfectly with the top of the subframe rail. Ended up running New Yorker manifold for years due to, um, well, budget considerations.:confused:

If you can get past the price, the Schumacher shorty headers fit like a glove with zero modifications, and quality is top notch and the thick flange equals zero leaks, ever. Left side went in from underneath (steering shaft removed), right side dropped in from the top. When I got mine it was about $880 to the door (ceramic coated) but never an ounce of buyers remorse. Worth every dollar (JMO).
B/RB Tri-Y Headers

BRB%20Headers.jpg

Last edited:

kramer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have 78070 hedders on my 74 D100 pickup and they work pretty well for it but don't have the Mirada yet (might get it this weekend) to mock things up,

Aspen500

Reaction score
I think the biggest problem with the Hedman's would be the front tube on each side. Where they run, there's just not enough room in the car but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I could be wrong. It'd be the first time though :p

Duke5A

Reaction score
I ran with manifolds on my 400 based stroker for a season and they fit. Biggest issue I had was with the angled plugs due to the heads. Can't for the life of me find photos to be able to tell you what they were, but I know for sure that they weren't HP manifolds. Sold them long time ago.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My plain Jane passenger car manifolds fit fine. Only mod was I had to grind part of the flange off (where the pipe attaches) and shim the p.s. gear at a slight angle to clear the steering shaft coupler at the box. They were hardly what you'd call free flowing but then again, the engine was totally stock out of the rotted to the door handles '71 Roadrunner and into my Aspen with only some gasket replacement. Like I said, budget back in'89 was non-existent. Alot of trading labor for parts type of thing went on.

Back