Hood Latch Issue

greyghost

Reaction score
I did a search in the forum for "hood latch issues" and came up with zilch. So I'm posting a new thread. I believe this may be a common problem with hood latches that have a lever under the dash. To pop the hood on my '79 LeBaron, I have to hold the lever in a pulled position and hammer the corner of the hood nearest the driver's door with the side of my fist. After a strike or 2 it pops. I suspect the cable has become stretched with age and needs replacing. Any thoughts? I have a '79 Chrysler 300 that works the same way except it needs coaxing with something more substantial than a fist. Since its a parts car I use a rubber mallet.

Aspen500

Reaction score
A lot of times all it needs is some lubrication on the latch. Run into that at work frequently. Other cause could be the latch or hood bumpers are adjusted too tight. If so, it puts pressure on the latch and it can't release from the striker. The hood should be able to close without needing to slam it shut to get it to latch. Or, the latch is out of adjustment side to side. Another one can be the "pop up" spring (if applicable) is missing. I've never run into the cable getting stretched enough to keep the hood from opening. Not that it couldn't happen though! Usually they're either fine or broken.

greyghost

Reaction score
Thanks Aspen! I lowered the bumpers about an eighth inch and shot the latch mechanism with some WD-40. It's opening OK now but I'll have to check it out again tomorrow and again after I've driven it and gotten the engine bay warmed up. Time and temperature are factors. Hey, I was talking to my cousin's boyfriend this weekend and he has a '76 Aspen R/T. He said it's been a while since he started it and the pictures he showed me, it's been sitting outside for a while. I told him this forum would be perfect for him. I'll have to work on him a little more to get him to join!

greyghost

Reaction score
Hey Aspen500! It seems to be working fine now! When I got up this morning I tried it and the hood popped up with no hammering! It was about 90 degrees outside today and I drove the car for about a half hour. I got home and pulled the lever and the hood popped right up! I'm happy now!

DCAspen

Reaction score
Nothing like a little lubrication.

Back