Horn help

83Imp

Reaction score
I haven't driven my Imperial for over six months and decided to take it out for a spin today. I don't remember ever trying the horn before, but when I tried it today, I got nothing. ??? I read through the FSM info and TS tree. It says to first check that the dash brake indicator light is on when you go to crank the car... the brake light (and horn) are grounded through the steering column. Well, I tried that and no brake light.

Additionally, it says my power antenna and the horn are on the same circuit...and the antenna works, so I'm guessing it's not the fuse.

SO... has anyone had their dash/steering column area open that can tell me what I'm looking for as far as the steering column ground wire?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
CAM00132.jpg
The two bolts that support the column to the dash need the metal clips for grounding. The horn relay, located on the fuse block, should have an audible click as you press the horn button.

CAM00132.jpg

83Imp

Reaction score
Thank you. Column has never been messed-with so of course when I got the cover plate off I saw that the bolts/clips were where they should be. So, easy thing first. Swap in a new relay...... fixed.

I had torn into my parts car dash and couldn't remember any ground clips, but now that I see what was meant.... yea, I remember.

Thanks, again for taking the time to post a pic. Brad

83Imp

Reaction score
......or NOT. Horn worked twice and now won't work again. I wonder if one of the three horns is killing the circuit?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I think the horns also need a good ground where they mount up front. It might also be the contact under the horn button. When I repainted under the hood of modoba, I had to remove some paint to get a good ground and the horns worked.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Maybe the horn contact plate in the column needs to be cleaned.
I dont have access to a FSM but you should try powering or grounding that circuit in the column harness connector, see if the relay works then.

That round plate has a contact that rides on it as you rotate the steering wheel, Im betting on that being dirty,
The plate might be on the bottom of the steering wheel, only accessible if the wheel is removed. I cant remember. Lol

Last edited:

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
This brings back memories. Shortly after I got my Cordoba - January, 1982, the centre horn stopped working. When I returned to the selling dealer, they first told me that the car should have two horns, not three. They ended up putting a circuit breaker in, which temporarily fixed the problem. But the problem persisted. I got used to having only two horns. Last time I checked, only one was working.

Back