Horrible fuel mileage, can't be right. Can it?

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I have a similar carb from a 77 400 4bl that I have tweaked on. My 360 with decent cam and 3.55 gears knocks down 15 mpg running 60 mph. It's still not perfect, but not bad. Sadly though, this will be my last TQ as I have replaced the float bowl 4 times....cracks.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of TQ’s (85+), some for parts and some for future use. I really do like using the early ones – but like with anything in life, they do have a few drawbacks (like leaking bowls).
The later model TQ’s, like what came on most FMJ’s, are not worth using IMO).

With 4-bbl appearing fuel injections now being more user friendly and somewhat cost effective – I doubt I will use any of my TQ’s.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I must be a gluten for punishment because I would like to try a pair on my 500".

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
I would like to try a pair on anything,lol.
Well not actually.
But what I would like is is a wonky 4bbl, with a small pair in the center, and a big single up over the front, and a matching one over the rear , but without the all the hassles of a 6-pack.
Or maybe, like a beer-barrel EFI in the center, and a pair of big 2bbls on the ends. That would freak people out. Then I'd run aluminum heads and max the compression out for 87 on the Efi. And then run some water injection on the outboards with some Super hi-test .I know and dual fuel tanks.
Boy the crazychit a guy can dream up.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't think that you could go too wrong with a Street Demon carb if you wanted to stay with a carb for some reason. It is sort of a spiritual decedent of the TQ. It is also available with the phenolic body, but I think it is good to use with ethanol. It will be a lot cheaper than a third party fuel injection system, and won't require the rework of the fuel system.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Visual really is not important to me. If it meters fuel properly, that is all i really need or care about. It is under the hood, and even with the hood open, it is under the air cleaner. To each their own.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Well that's just the thing; my oval aftermarket air filter house sits on top of and is bolted to,the hood, and when I open the hood, POW!, there is my gnarly old DP ready to be fussed with, sitting in a tray I built,and sealed,to the underside of the hood..

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the look of Shakers (on ‘Cuda’s, Mustangs, etc.) – but they are a royal pain to work on (but look cool).

I like the ’69 Road Runner 440-6 clip-on hoods (which some say is the highest forced-air air scoops on a factory car) – but I don’t care much for needing two people to just lift hood off, for a minor item – like checking oil levels.

Fiberglass molded to steel can work – but for some reason a non-stock appearing hood makes me cringe - like watching a horror flic (and not sure why).

AJ/FormS – I like the idea of having part of air cleaner attached to the hood – kinda like a modified ’69-70 Air Grabber system.
Air Grabber.jpg

If done decent – it could be very helpful for guys like us.

Would you show us what you have created?
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I must be a gluten for punishment because I would like to try a pair on my 500".
If I was going to use a twin 4-bbl system, for street use, I think would use a pair of TQ’s. The smaller primaries should make the car more drivable on the streets,

To be honest, I have been toying around with a twin 4-bbl system for some time now. The problem is my intakes will not fit under the hood on an FMJ vehicle without some BFH massage work, first.

I have a pair of these manifolds in my garage that I would like to put into operation. The (twin) 4-bbl appearing fuel injection systems will make drivability problems all but go away.
61 300G engine.jpg

The next problem is the intakes and exhaust manifolds I have, want to occupy the same space – so hadn’t figured out what to do there either, yet.
Max Wedge ExM.jpg

BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
looks like the the later 60s manifolds wouldn't fit either.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I was thinking about a tunnel ram, Mopar Performance had one a few years back I'd like to get a hold of.

Then the next time one of my RBs hits the dyno we can give it a tune.

Back