How long is your dipstick?

joeblo

Reaction score
I was getting ready to start up the mighty 318 for the first time today and poured in 6 quarts of oil and it did not even register on the dipstick. I suspect that I may have the wrong one, it is 18" long not counting the handle. If someone would be so kind as to measure theirs and let me know, that would be great. Also if it turns out I have the wrong one, I will be needing the correct one, if somebody has one they would like to sell. Thanx.

joeblo

Reaction score
Thanks Captain, that confirms my suspicions. I just ordered the correct one from Jegs for under $10. That's one less thing on my list.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
No problem....
Full capacity with a filter change is 5 quarts according to the 86 FSM.
Which I would think is the same for any M 318.

You're approaching swimming at 6 quarts. :confused1:

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
A shop rebuilt a 225 for me and lost the dipstick and dipstick tube. Somehow found the tube a week later but gave me the wrong stick. I stuck more than 5 in that slant. It lived. I found the correct dipstick a few months later. Almost 7 quarts came out. This was not one of the 2 slants I killed. It still runs today in a D100. My question is would a dipstick differ from truck to car on certain mopar motors? The B vans have extended dipsticks for trans and motor. What about if the pan is center sump vice back? I believe the tip is hitting the shallow of the pan?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Slant no 1 was killed by extreme abuse when I was 20. Over revving, neutral dropping, down shifting (in lieu of no brakes). I suspect it was helped by the nice person (my girlfriend was seeing) who pour some type of crud in my fuel. I kept it going, but then a screw fell from the 1bbl into the engine. Rebuilt the top end and put a cam in it. My dad fabbed up a 4bbl adapter to a 2bbl intake. Blew the 7 1/4 rear, blew a 2nd 7 1/4 and then an open 8 3/4 (bad build) led to a ford 9 inch for 50 bucks (This was 25 years ago) Put a posi trac in the 9 inch, but it was a 4:88 ring & pinion (good junk yard find). Ran like that until I overtemped it and it seized. I took another 225 out of my sister's 77 aspen SE coupe (after she bent the car in half for the 3rd time). Bolted it in, new cam, 4bbl and mustang kill'n came easy. About 7 months later, I'm walking and taking the bus. What I learned- a 4:88 rear is not meant for daily driving, Overdrive is a needed function- not just for fuel economy, a cooling system is very important, at least a good functioning one. Oh and I now fully believe in tachometers.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Slant no 1 was killed by extreme abuse when I was 20. Over revving, neutral dropping, down shifting (in lieu of no brakes). I suspect it was helped by the nice person (my girlfriend was seeing) who pour some type of crud in my fuel. I kept it going, but then a screw fell from the 1bbl into the engine. Rebuilt the top end and put a cam in it. My dad fabbed up a 4bbl adapter to a 2bbl intake. Blew the 7 1/4 rear, blew a 2nd 7 1/4 and then an open 8 3/4 (bad build) led to a ford 9 inch for 50 bucks (This was 25 years ago) Put a posi trac in the 9 inch, but it was a 4:88 ring & pinion (good junk yard find). Ran like that until I overtemped it and it seized. I took another 225 out of my sister's 77 aspen SE coupe (after she bent the car in half for the 3rd time). Bolted it in, new cam, 4bbl and mustang kill'n came easy. About 7 months later, I'm walking and taking the bus. What I learned- a 4:88 rear is not meant for daily driving, Overdrive is a needed function- not just for fuel economy, a cooling system is very important, at least a good functioning one. Oh and I now fully believe in tachometers.

As hearty as the little beasts are.....that would do it I'd think.

slant6billy

Reaction score
As hearty as the little beasts are.....that would do it I'd think.
I don't think any other engine could withstand the level of abuse. Coupled with the fact I was a more special kind of mechanical moron back then than I am today. I'm sure any ford or GM would had spit out a crank much sooner. My 3rd slant was from a dart. I did not notice No 5 spark plug was missing. I don't mean fouling. Damn thing was not screwed into the engine. That buzz'n 1/2 dozen was only firing on 5 for a few weeks. More reason to believe the roadrunner could defy gravity cause he never studied law. Slants could have a hole blown through them and keep turn'n.

joeblo

Reaction score
I drained the oil and water from a slant, then put a brick on the gas pedal. Went in the house and ate lunch and when I came back out it was still turning 5000 rpms.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There are many unbelievable slant stories.
A cheb or furd would never withstand what a slant will. When I got the Volare I found out that the old timer had the firing order wrong. I have no idea how long he drove it like that but it would still run. Once I corrected it, it ran like nothing ever happened.

Back