How many grounds can one have?

Fuzz

Reaction score
I just read this from the link below.

Stuart D. Somers wrote, “The throttle body fuel injection gave a lot of trouble. Chrysler soon discovered that someone who could afford a $20,000 car could also afford an attorney! Instead of repairing the fuel injection, Chrysler replaced them with a carburetor. The kit included a new gas tank, complete exhaust system, and a new digital dashboard, and, of course, the intake manifold and carburetor.”

Imperial cars by Chrysler, 1981 to 1983

Which might tell me why I have this package of parts. I got these with lot of mopar parts and its also got a new throttle cable. Ive a bunch more from this envelope but you get the idea.

I wonder what carb and intake they replaced things with?

I do wonder what older wireharness might plug into your bulkhead?

View attachment 33005

View attachment 33006

View attachment 33007
The Imperial FI change-over – reverted to a normal 318 2-bbl.

This rod (red arrow) confirmed it is for a “normal” 318 2-bbl, for the 4-bbl rod and FI "top" rod are bent differently.
View attachment 33021
The other two rods (white and blue arrows) are the other two kickdown rods (downward and transmission) – which I didn’t think was different (but not compared those two rods to a 318 2-bbl, before).

This picture (below) is all of all of the parts needed to change an Imperial FI over to 2-bbl).
View attachment 33020
BudW

Fuzz

Reaction score
I could sure use that complete conversion kit for a nice 82 Imperial (that'd been parked in storage 10, if not 15or20yrs) my brother picked up for our dad!
Z_20171117-205102.jpg
Z_20171117-205132.jpg

Fuzz

Reaction score
Anybody have a schematic of the fuel injection/carb swap harness? I've got the factory conversion folder, which shows *some* fuse block cavity modifications, but it's pretty vague otherwise, and there's no schematics, just new harness part #...
I can make a harness if I had a diagram!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Fuzz ...
I'm going to personally grant you the award for most intricate, colorful, mind-numbing wiring harness picture of 2019.

It is, dare I say it, worse than either my 62 Willys pickup or my packrat chewed, two years of repeated repair, 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue.

Congratulations!

JW

Norse

Reaction score
As a follow up;
I was pulling the front disc rotors so I can redo the bearings and found yet another ground strap!
If you can't see, it goes from the frame to one of the transmission bell bolts.
:p
20190427_183721.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
A short story about grounding in cars:

A few years back, a buddy of mine was working on a car for a friend of his. This car was a Triumph TR7 (yes, from back in the mid 1970s) with a small block Chevy conversion. The owner was a local mover and shaker in the collector car circles. Anyway, the car seemed to work fine, but one headlight didn't work. Not only did it not go up and down, but it was always on at a very low level. even with the headlights off. we when through the headlight motors, the switches that turn the motors on and off, anything and everything associated with that headlight, in the process, finding out that the side marker light on the same side was also not working.

Turns our that the car had been painted just before the engine conversion in a particularly bright, attention grabbing, shade of bright orange. Because the was no engine or transmission in the car, the painters just painted the car, and did a very wonderful job (aside from the colour). They were very diligent in covering the body very completely, including the grounding points.

Turned out the grounds were all painted over, and whoever it was that put the engine back in, didn't bother to clean the paint off the grounding points. Some grounds were fine, some were not, and some would work intermittently when the car was being driven around. I helped figure out the problem, my friend had the task of finding every ground on that car, pulling off all the wiring, cleaning up around the grounding points, then putting all the wires back on. Took him a week of work after hours. Must have been 20+ grounding points.

You can never have enough grounding. or low enough impedance (resistance) to ground. There is no detriment to having more grounds, or bigger ground wires that what the factory put in.

Aspen500

Reaction score
To have wiring problems in a British car is,,,,,,,,,,,,,well, it's a normal thing, lol. Lucas Electric, the Prince of Darkness.:p That's why the British drink warm beer, the refrigerator's are made by Lucas, heh-heh.

Back