I think I lost a ball joint

MoparDan

Reaction score
I heard a snap when pulling into the driveway I looked underneath and here's what I found

IMG_20200830_163722.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
For the record I have no money, no way to pay for replacement parts and in a few days I'm not even going to have a roof over my head (landlord sold the property and kicked us out) Yes, I bought the Moog ball joints the right side ones were installed July 4 thats the upper right ball joint in the picture

MoparDan

Reaction score
I just checked the odometer: that ball joint has 497 miles on it are Chinese parts really THAT bad?

Camtron

Reaction score
Kinda hard to tell by the picture.
The upper ball joints are threaded into the upper control arm. It is possible for those threads to rust away/strip pretty easily on a 30+ year old car and that could cause what you’re seeing.
That ball joint also looks kinda rust and old looking at the picture (but it’s hard to tell), you sure they got replaced?
That sucks either way, man. Sorry to hear.
I have Moog parts on my car, drive it daily for over a year and a half. Still no issues with ball joints, tie rods or sway bar end link bushings. They have manufacturing plants all around the world, maybe I got lucky with some, German made parts, lol.
Chin up, keep the faith, boot straps and what not. I hope the best for you, Dan.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Kinda hard to tell by the picture.
The upper ball joints are threaded into the upper control arm. It is possible for those threads to rust away/strip pretty easily on a 30+ year old car and that could cause what you’re seeing.
That ball joint also looks kinda rust and old looking at the picture (but it’s hard to tell), you sure they got replaced?
Chin up, keep the faith, boot straps and what not. I hope the best for you, Dan.
To answer your question yes I'm sure it was replaced I watched it being replaced (it took forever to get the old off...!!) things are going from bad to worse by the second we have to off the property in two days and I can't just park somewhere I have to drive to several different places a day or the police WILL impound my car no questions no regrets

Aspen500

Reaction score
I had that happen a long time ago. As a temporary fix, the ball joint can be popped back in the control arm and then welded. It'll probably wreck the dust boot (if it isn't already) but it'll get you by for a while. I ended up driving my car 5 or 6 years like that, although I did replace the dust boot. What happens is, the "threads" in the control arm get worn so the joint won't stay in properly. IIRC, the minimum torque needed to get the ball joint screwed in all the way is 125 ft lbs. That's not a tightening torque but the torque it takes to screw it in BEFORE it's fully seated. They are a heck of a thing to remove and replace, using the correct socket and a looooooooooooong breaker bar.

If you jack the front end up, the ball joint should be able to be put back in. Since it came out, screwing it in is a moot point now. Find someone willing to put a few tack welds on it. It actually doesn't take all that much to keep the joint in since there's basically no weight on it. The control are and joint will need replaced at some point so don't be worried about ruining good parts. Good luck,,,,,,,,,on everything.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I had that happen a long time ago. As a temporary fix, the ball joint can be popped back in the control arm and then welded. It'll probably wreck the dust boot (if it isn't already) but it'll get you by for a while. I ended up driving my car 5 or 6 years like that, although I did replace the dust boot. What happens is, the "threads" in the control arm get worn so the joint won't stay in properly. IIRC, the minimum torque needed to get the ball joint screwed in all the way is 125 ft lbs. That's not a tightening torque but the torque it takes to screw it in BEFORE it's fully seated. They are a heck of a thing to remove and replace, using the correct socket and a looooooooooooong breaker bar.

If you jack the front end up, the ball joint should be able to be put back in. Since it came out, screwing it in is a moot point now. Find someone willing to put a few tack welds on it. It actually doesn't take all that much to keep the joint in since there's basically no weight on it. The control are and joint will need replaced at some point so don't be worried about ruining good parts. Good luck,,,,,,,,,on everything.
Thank you for the response I'm VERY glad there is a temporary available one of my roommates knows a few people who can weld so this will taken care of hopefully when we have to leave...seriously this takes alot of stress off my mind once again thank you so much. Are control arms available new or do I need to find a good used one? and what about the bushings that go around the control arm are they available?

Aspen500

Reaction score
The arms aren't available new (far as I'm aware), unless you go with an aftermarket tubular control arm ($$$). Check with Deconstructor Jim for a replacement. Chances are the rust free ones he has have original ball joints so the threads and hole diameter are more than likely good. Yes, the shaft bushings are readily available from any number of sources, including local parts stores.
Jim's Az Parts

The ball joint that gets welded in will be fine, you just have to remember to grease it more often if the dust boot is destroyed, which it probably is after the joint popped out.

Make sure the welder doesn't put too much heat into the joint. Tack it, allow it to cool, tack, let cool, etc. That way the nylon inside the joint (if it has a nylon liner that is) won't get melted.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I think the boot is torn kinda hard to tell it was dark and rainy both today and yesterday, I'm not having any luck finding someone who is will to weld it all the garages I called said they want nothing to do with it, I haven't given up yet though, no matter what I have to move her off the property tomorrow...I've got a few questions: how do you grease a ball joint and what kind of grease is needed? and when I buy a replacement control arm should I also replace the left side one too? If one side broke I wonder how good the other one is

Camtron

Reaction score
Need a grease gun to grease the ball joint. That little silver nipple on top of the ball joint is where you’d connect the grease gun to force grease inside the ball joint.
Maybe try calling a mobile welder. I don’t doubt garages won’t want to welding the ball joint into the control arm. I like replacing things in pairs under the assumption if one side is bad the other side is probably close to bad too. Right now, I’d just repair what’s blatantly broken and try to keep some money in your wallet for the time being.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Things have gotten worse: no welder here will touch it either so now I have to have her towed to the motel and find a replacement control arm within a week

Aspen500

Reaction score
You almost need a buddy who can weld it. I understand why a pro won't touch it,,,,,,,,,,,liability. It sucks but at the shop I work at we have to refuse to do certain things from time to time also. Like "can you disable my ABS or air bags" Well, yes we CAN but we no we WON'T.

MoparDan

Reaction score
One thing thats always been refused: "Can you get rid of the Lean Burn computer?" only instead of no its "We'd love to, its a lousy system but its an emission device so no" I just got to the motel drove 20 mph with the hazard lights on, my wife praying the whole time and me talking to The Cherry Bomb the whole time saying things like "we're almost there" and "your doing great" now to find a control arm the garage I usually use is going to replace it and have a deal with a tow truck. Just need to find a control arm this week

Camtron

Reaction score
Worse case, if you can swing $100 temporarily, buy a 120v mig welder from Harbor Freight, get the ball joint welded into place and return the welder.
So long as you take your time and keep the duty cycles short, it will work well enough to get you rolling again.
Make sure they’re excepting returns before you do this (if you do this) a lot of places don’t except returns currently because of Covid-19.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I just got a call from the mechanic who put the ball joints on, and he said he may know someone who can tack weld it! I'm waiting to hear back so hopefully this problem will solved

MoparDan

Reaction score
About two minutes after I wrote the last post he showed up at the door, we drove to his friend's place a mile or two away and the ball joint is now tack welded to the control arm! :) problem solved

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
You may want to get in touch with F body Deconstructor Jim. He may have the control arm/arms you are looking for. he is a board member.
It looks to me, from your picture, that whoever installed the ball joint didn't thread it in all the way. Note how the threads are Rusty on the top, indicating that they were exposed.

Back