Ignition lock and key froze in on position

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The button (if you want to call it that) looks like a worn out working end (or tip) of a screwdriver.
Lock cylinder is designed to only come out when in “run” position for anti-theft reasons.
A person could get a small drill and drill out that tab enough to pull out, in any other position – but that would be a lot of work.

That button/tab is designed to only be depressed when in “run” position.
It is also part of the reason it is a "pain" to take apart to recode the lock cylinder.
BudW

4speedjim

Reaction score
I must have got lucky because both times it froze up it was in the run position. The lock came out fairly easy. Thanks for all the help, pictures and advice! Id never have attempted this without everyone's help. And Im so glad I did. She is back together. I put the battery in my PT while the 'Doba was off the road. I'll know if it starts in the morning.

4speedjim

Reaction score
So the car started half a dozen times. Satisfied it was good to go I piled in and took off for Buffalo to visit lil sister. When I went to leave for home, the ignition wouldn't energize the starter. So I jumped the starter wires to get home. Where do I start, where do I look? NSS is grounded. Back into the column? At least the ignition moves. I was concerned there could be an alignment or adjustment I was missing. But after several starts in the garage, I thought I had it. Any help whenever someone's around would be great! The ignition slid all the way in and seemed to go over the male part of the column with no problem.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like either (in order of likelihood):
- Mis-adjusted ignition switch
- Bad starter relay
- Bad starter (which if you jump the relay, rules out the starter)
- A bad ignition switch
- Problem in wiring harness

I would recommend adjusting the ignition switch first.
BudW

4speedjim

Reaction score
Thanks Bud, turned out to be wiring. One of the relay ground wires isn't holding on it's terminal. Probably worked loose dis and Re connecting the battery. It all looked good. I got suspicious of that relay because Ive been here before, when the NSS failed. My first mistake was panicking when I should have been thinking and trying the relay and connections. Thanks again Bud

Back