Inner door panel removal

slant6billy

Reaction score
Any hints, tricks, do's & don'ts. I'm needing to remove the key locks for paint

Thanks

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Window handle, door handle. Then there should be a screw by the armrest then the rest is unsnapping the clips around the other edge and lift up and off. Opps forgot to unscrew the door lock.

alf44

Reaction score
then from there ,wiggle your hand inside to find the lock, unsnap the metal rod with out breaking the plastic clip, then use a flat blade screwdriver to carefully push-pry the retaining clip off the lock, u might need to spray a lube in there first like WD40 to help the metal clip slide off, then it falls on the ground----- opps, falls into your hand,lol

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks as well. I did my Jeep ZJ a few years back and the little plastic pushpins broke off. I got more luck removing my SS/T Rams panels with no damage.
The F body is much more fragile - being 32 yrs old. I don't want that irreversable oops to occur.

alf44

Reaction score
take ur time on popping the rods out of the plastic retaining clip

bill55az

Reaction score
how about the power window switch? what is the trick there? I don't want to force the bezel off unless I know it is supposed to be pulled off.
My AC don't work, and the Power Windows won't open....Ckt breaker is good.

alf44

Reaction score
dont know about power switch as i never seen 1 in a f body- where is switch? if on door, try to unclip plug from base of switch. you got a repair book? if not get one. either a haines or another book.if breaker is good, try looking at all the wires looking for a short-break, could be bad or corroded switches. or the window slides could be SO dirty that the motor wont move, when you get it apart. use your choise of lube on the window slides and motor gear, try switch and try to move window with ur hand also. my father in laws 5th ave windows were SO bad they wouldnt move even pushing on them, had to lube em up,lol. good luck

bill55az

Reaction score
it is an 80 diplomat coupe.....odd thing is, both windows failed at once, so there is something common to both....I may have to remove the driver's seat if the problem is under the cowl....I am too old for some of this work....

Back