Introducing New Member: djinc91

djinc91

Reaction score
Vehicle: 1988 Chrysler 5th Avenue

Hello everyone!

Last edited:

djinc91

Reaction score
1988 5th Avenue just bought today. Runs good but has constant hissing noise from dash (assuming climate control), speakers just screech loudly when turned on/up and I can't seem to get any heat from the vents.

djinc91

Reaction score
IMG_20200815_194303.jpg

djinc91

Reaction score
Pulled the radio and climate control module, solved my speaker concern. For the climate control, if I plug the vacuum lines with my thumb there is no hissing, but when I connect it to the module it does, should I disassemble the module?

IMG_20200816_080541.jpg
IMG_20200816_080527.jpg
IMG_20200816_080534.jpg
IMG_20200816_080518.jpg

djinc91

Reaction score
the vacuum switch assembly has gone bad. I think there are new ones available, but are pricey
Thanks for the reply, I had another listen and the hissing noise wasn't coming from the unit itself, so I began manipulating the vacuum hoses and even though that green one appeared intact I could change the hissing. I bypassed the connector with vacuum hose and there is no more hissing.

I still have no heat though. Any suggestions? The heater hoses going in and out the firewall are both hot. In the meantime I am going to disassemble the head unit to remove a stubborn cassette.

djinc91

Reaction score
Verified the temperature slider on the climate control unit is good, I have hot hoses going in and out of the heater core, there is no discernable noise difference when switching from cold to hot with the slider so I am guessing the blend door is seized? Where exactly is that located and can it be freed up? I removed the glovebox and don't see what the image shows it to be. Any help is appreciated.

Untitled.png

Duke5A

Reaction score
The blend door stopped working on my 5A shortly after replacing the heater core. The plug actually failed to make a proper connection as there was no tension left in the plug itself.

You can test this by playing around with the plug and running the temp slider from side to side. That door should move with every adjustment of the temp slider.

If it is the plug, I just took the servo apart, scuffed the pins a little and built them up with solder. Made the plug nice and snug again. This can all be done WITHOUT removing the heater box. It's tight, but doable. Let me know if you need help.

djinc91

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies! I haven't had time to tear into the dash with work this week but will try on the weekend, I did do an oil change though and located the block heater cord which is just missing the end. I also noticed there is no vacuum to the grey line that connects to the valve on the heater line.

djinc91

Reaction score
I have heat! Removed the dash cover, glove box and passenger side vent ducting then adjusted the blend door into the full hot position. I then put a socket between the bracket and rod on the recirc valve in the engine bay so it's stuck open. Its cookin' hot in there now! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Back