Iola!

Billy007

Reaction score
Yesterday was my birthday, which at my age is something I like to ignore, but this year was special, took my beloved to Iola for the grand car show in wonderful Iola Wisconsin. The wife had to work, but two of the grown kiddos came, it was awesome. The best part of showing a car there is that you get to drive right onto the grounds wheras ordinary mortals need to park miles away and be bused in. Plus, I had the trunk filled with lawn chairs, a cooler full of ice cold refreshments, roast beef sandwiches and chocolate! If you ever get the chance to go there, don't pass it up. It has been going on since 1972 and bigger every year. The cars are varied and interesting, of all makes and styles, old, brand new cars, show cars, drivers, you name it. A lot of interesting technical stuff to learn, and this year, Daisy Duke was there! (funny, so was Eddie Munster with his family cars, but that tent was empty, but the line to talk to Daisy was like a block long. Funny, I thought Grandpas coffin racer was far more interesting then the General Lee she had next to her. Strange, didn't she drive an early 70s Satellite?) I will post a few shots, I also will show a pristine 1978 Volare wagon. I know it has the wrong 1968 Magnums on it, but who cares, it was awesome!! (I know you guys will approve)
DSC02623.JPG
DSC02697.JPG
DSC02632.JPG
DSC02702.JPG
DSC02637.JPG
DSC02623.JPG
DSC02632.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
I haven't been to Iola for what seems like eons. More like almost 25 years for one reason or another. Wanted to redeem myself this year but, it wasn't to be.:( I'm only about 60 miles away from it, give or take a few.
First Iola I went to was in 1978 when I was 14 years old. Back then it was a one day event and you could walk the entire show field and swap meet in half a day easy. Spectator parking was on the show grounds IIRC, not in multiple remote lots like it is now. It's grown just a TAD since then.:eek: I heard numbers like 2,200 show cars, 4,200 swap spaces and 1,000 in the Car Corral for sale.

glennb49

Reaction score
Not to mention the three 81-83 Imperials on display two which I formally owned! the Frank and the brown one which are still both injected, I had my 81 Frank with sun roof ,still injected, to Milwaukee Concours d' Elegance this last Sunday.

DSCN3335.JPG

DSCN3284 (2).JPG

DSCN3288 (2).JPG

Darth-Car

Reaction score
All really nice cars. It is even more exciting to see them with the original FI still present, and functional. I saw a real FI Imperial running about 30 years ago. It was really a cool car.

glennb49

Reaction score
Yes it can be a challenge to keep them running, parts are very hard to find especially the electronics!! I'm a ham!!

DSCN3344.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's one thing about early electronic injection. The idea was right, the engineering was right, the electronic components and computer technology weren't ready yet.

It's like the '58 Chrysler EFI. So close to the modern version, with eight electronic injectors, most of the same senors (TPS, ECT, MAP, etc) and all that stuff was fine. It was the early ECU that was the problem. The components of the time just weren't up to the task, especially in a car where you get cold, hot, vibration, jarring......... There is one that the guy reverse engineered the computer using new components and I guess it worked beautifully. Far as I remember, all the other EFI parts were the 1958 versions.

Back