ISO PUCKS

CM360

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the front iso rubber pucks. Have a urathane one and an aluminum one. I'll be fabbing a pair for my next race car project. Can I assume that the puck is just a filler? Can I fab a pair fron delrin or aluminum, depending on what is the lightest, and drill some additional holes to loose a few more ounces? I've already replaced the 5 mph impact systems and fabricating a much lighter front bumper. I'm very weight conscious.

volare 77

Reaction score
If you are using the aluminum pucks to stiffen the chassis I can see it for a race car but i wonder how much weight it saves if you use aluminum vs urethane? I can`t believe it would be a lot. May be easier for you to save weight elsewhere.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say 7½ pounds might be about right (but not measured them).
I see no reason why a person couldn't make them from a lighter material – or drill out a part to make it lighter. If you do start drilling, I would recommend to drill vertical instead of horizontal.

The two front pucks are the same, as well as the two rear pucks - but are different front to rear. There is at least two locations, buried deep in our forums, measurements taken for the pucks.

If you were going to make some up, you might want to price it out if you made them in a batch (to sell), possibly
BudW

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the front iso rubber pucks. Have a urathane one and an aluminum one. I'll be fabbing a pair for my next race car project. Can I assume that the puck is just a filler? Can I fab a pair fron delrin or aluminum, depending on what is the lightest, and drill some additional holes to loose a few more ounces? I've already replaced the 5 mph impact systems and fabricating a much lighter front bumper. I'm very weight conscious.

I would really like to see what you came up with for the bumper and shock replacements.

CM360

Reaction score
I'm using a glued up piece from my mother in laws' purple matress with a sleeve in the center. Less than 1 lbs.

CM360

Reaction score
Without having my usual daily schedule, darn that pandemic, I thought that this was 0202,1 lirpA. I'm off a day. Please excuse my .... I'm trying to get the weight for the poly spacers. Once I compare them to the proper thicknes of Delrin, I'll make my decision.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
These are rough measurements from a popular brand K-frame mounts.
Annotation 2020-04-07 133357.png

Annotation 2020-04-07 133426.png

Annotation 2020-04-07 133315.png

I think it would be more adviseable to use a lock washer instead of loctite sense the nuts are only spot-welded inside of the frame rails (IMO)

If you are making some spacers yourself I would measure the diameter of mount tops, frame rail width and K-frame mount areas (up to point of flat steel mount flanges start to bend – OR round off the edges of your mounts in those location(s).
20190825_194316r.jpg

I might also recommend paint or coat your mounts with something that might prevent damage the plastic – in case gasoline, brake fluid, caustic cleaners, etc. if it got onto them.

The thickness of the washer might and the thickness of the spacer (1.50”, or after machining for the K-frame oval, 1.375”) be more critical than anything else (maybe).
BudW

SRTMirada

Reaction score
I weighed my NOS set of cast iron insulator bushings without bolts and they weigh 12 1/4 pounds.

Back