I've never been a fan of the 1980's

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
My j came out of California and its got zero rust in it! Its quite amazing its 30+ years old and is rust free! I am second owner.
My 83 Mirada came from Alabama and is completely rust free also.
I bought it for the 10 spoke rally wheels and Bucket Seat with console for my M Coupe.
After looking it over, there is no way I could part out such a straight, rust free car.
I have already started to gather the parts needed to put it back on the road.
I did do both front rotors,pads,calipers.bearings and seals.

Priority has been on my 80 Volare Duster.

but that doesn't
Mirada Brakes 003.JPG
Mirada Brakes 005.JPG
Mirada Brakes 002.JPG

stop me gather parts for the rest of them.
As you can see the front brakes couldn't wait.
I barely got it to the spot where I did the work.
The pass caliper was froze all the way out.
--- Post updated ---

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
OK sorry for going off topic. USA has weather extremes car makers have to try and work with. Can't be easy.
It isn't so much the weather extreme's it's the states that use tons of salt on the roads in the winter (like Wisconsin). Cars that come from North Dakota (for example) live in more extreme winters than Wisconsin yet, the rust a WHOLE lot less because of less road salt use mainly.

I thought they fixed the fender rust during the recall of '76 when they added the full fender liners. What I mean by fixed is, it took 5 or 6 years before rust through would start on year-round driven cars instead of 1 year. The liners helped keep the crap (i.e. salt) off the inside, especially where the metal is double thickness and salt water gets in and trapped and it's all but impossible to wash out.

That's the reason I would NEVER drive an Aspen (or Dippy, or Mirada, etc) in the winter around here. No matter how much time you spent at the self serve car wash, and things like oil spraying, the car would be destroyed in a couple years or so. I just couldn't do it. There's only so many left and no matter how clean you keep it or repair the rust as it shows up there comes a point where it takes over and repair is futile. Life in Wisconsin.............................................
Just as an example, I've seen vehicles as recent as 2007 models get scrapped at the shop where I work due to excessive structural rust (Friday an '07 Toyota Tundra went to the graveyard with horrible frame rot, the center of the truck was sagged at least 6" down) and as new as 2009's (Chevy and I hate to say,,,,,Dodge/Ram trucks) with rust through starting on the rear wheel openings. Actually, my bosses 2011 F150, which he keeps spotless btw, has rust pinholes in the cab corners already. There is a reason it's called the rust belt (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc........).

80mirada

Reaction score
Iowa is no where near as bad as Wisconsin for salt. There was a 77 Volare wagon at my old job that was driven every day that only had minor rust when a collision finally killed it in 2007.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
My Lebaron came from Dallas TX and still has zero rust.

To Aspen 500's comment on new car rust, my Furd buddy has a well serviced and clean Taurus.
Under all that clean, the front frames are gone.
Now I can just imagine the beat on Furd jelly beans.

Aspen500

Reaction score
My Lebaron came from Dallas TX and still has zero rust.

To Aspen 500's comment on new car rust, my Furd buddy has a well serviced and clean Taurus.
Under all that clean, the front frames are gone.
Now I can just imagine the beat on Furd jelly beans.

We replace the front subframe (engine/suspension cradle) on 2004 and older style Taurus probably at least one a month. No big surprise, the yard we use for used parts gets them from southern states because they have no good ones on the local cars that were scrapped. I guess they bring the subframes in by the truckload, about 25 at a time and that's about a 2 week supply usually.
Stupid road salt....................

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
We replace the front subframe (engine/suspension cradle) on 2004 and older style Taurus probably at least one a month. No big surprise, the yard we use for used parts gets them from southern states because they have no good ones on the local cars that were scrapped. I guess they bring the subframes in by the truckload, about 25 at a time and that's about a 2 week supply usually.
Stupid road salt....................
Job security for you.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
It isn't so much the weather extreme's it's the states that use tons of salt on the roads in the winter (like Wisconsin). Cars that come from North Dakota (for example) live in more extreme winters than Wisconsin yet, the rust a WHOLE lot less because of less road salt use mainly.

I thought they fixed the fender rust during the recall of '76 when they added the full fender liners. What I mean by fixed is, it took 5 or 6 years before rust through would start on year-round driven cars instead of 1 year. The liners helped keep the crap (i.e. salt) off the inside, especially where the metal is double thickness and salt water gets in and trapped and it's all but impossible to wash out.

That's the reason I would NEVER drive an Aspen (or Dippy, or Mirada, etc) in the winter around here. No matter how much time you spent at the self serve car wash, and things like oil spraying, the car would be destroyed in a couple years or so. I just couldn't do it. There's only so many left and no matter how clean you keep it or repair the rust as it shows up there comes a point where it takes over and repair is futile. Life in Wisconsin.............................................
Just as an example, I've seen vehicles as recent as 2007 models get scrapped at the shop where I work due to excessive structural rust (Friday an '07 Toyota Tundra went to the graveyard with horrible frame rot, the center of the truck was sagged at least 6" down) and as new as 2009's (Chevy and I hate to say,,,,,Dodge/Ram trucks) with rust through starting on the rear wheel openings. Actually, my bosses 2011 F150, which he keeps spotless btw, has rust pinholes in the cab corners already. There is a reason it's called the rust belt (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc........).

Actually, the fender recall didn't roll around until 1980.

It's amazing what you'll find in the trunk of your (my) car...

A lot of rotten front ends before then.

Greg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sweet Volare!

As a side note on the rust thing. A couple weeks ago I worked on a Silverado with bubbles in the paint over the rear wheel openings. Paint bubbles means only one thing,,,,there's rust pinholes starting in the sheet metal under the paint. What year was the truck? 2013,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you kidding me? Yeah, there's the 7 year rust through warranty but still, 3 or 4 years old and rotted through already? Thank you very much Wisconsin for spreading mega tons of salt every winter.

Justwondering

Reaction score
so does everyone just lease a vehicle and turn it in for a new one every 2 years...like playing musical chairs with the rust buckets

Back