K cars

Opticon77

Reaction score
We got one of those too.

NRDlesa.jpg

go7afHK.jpg

That one belongs to my dad so it's terribly stock and clean. I'll ruin it with an extra atmosphere and fix the stance one of these days.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
That is the later one with the hidden headlights. The one I drove was the earlier one with the open to the world dual quad headlights. Not sure if there was much of a difference mechanically, aside from the engines (later ones had different turbo engines, and V6s in some models, if I recall).

Opticon77

Reaction score
Those are the better looking ones IMO. Same platform otherwise. Not sure if the turbo setups had an intercooler in that generation (the main difference between Turbo I and II) but it would be an easy fix.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I had the turbo II in my 88 LeBaron GTC. It was a pretty car, all white on white exterior, and red leather, but with the 3 speed slush-o-matic it drove like a slug. There was no power, or pickup even with the inter-cooled engine. I had one dangerous left turn I had to always make across traffic. I would power brake the car to 2000 RPM, and get some decent go power to make that turn, but nothing fancy to push you into your seat. :(

Opticon77

Reaction score
That's what a bleed on the wastegate can and a zener diode on the MAP sensor is for. If you were feeling real adventurous you screw an extra Volvo cold start injector into the intake on a hobbs switch. Turbo cars are amazing for easily unlocked potential... of course they didn't invent Multi-Layer Steel headgaskets until around 1995. But I was in 5th grade so the wait didn't bother me at all.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I had a 89 Spirit 2.5 turbo that was fun to drive, surprisingly it would spin the tires from a stop light.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
87 Shelby.jpg

Exact color as mine! No T-tops though and he has a back glass cover that I didn't have.
VIN 1B3BA64A6HG122880 (car was stolen and recovered - but not a single body panel was straight after recovery.
I miss that car.

but with the 3 speed slush-o-matic it drove like a slug.
I agree, the automatic turbos were, um, lacking in useable power.
Well, the manuals were not exactly full of power at a standstill either, but a 1-2 second blip of the throttle before popping the clutch did get you off the line a bit faster.
BudW

Ele115

Reaction score
Those were the days...... NOT !!!

The all time low for the Auto industry. The Corvettes wouldn't even break the tyres loose in gravel. You could buy a $1500 car from the early 70's that would blow the doors off of Detroit's "muscle cars". It was so sad

Opticon77

Reaction score
That was the smog era in the late 70s. By the late 80s turbochargers has Shelby's Dodge Omnis moving as fast as a 440 B-body right out of the showroom. And that's before nutjobs boosted them into the 9s... despite the 2.50 60 foots. Of course most stock V8s were still slow until around 2010. Meaning I got to beat up on every stock Mustang and 5.7 Hemi I could find for a good while.

And now a new Camry runs 13s and anything with a ebay turbo Tahoe motor in it can run 9s with the driver eating an ice cream cone. So I find it better for my wallet if I just focus on looking good and making the right noises.

Opticon77

Reaction score
Just for fun...

Mix of 2 videos from youtube : Omni GLHT vs 1979 Volare

Omni beats on the Volare pretty good in the long sweepers. But when I synched them up at the left turn stop sign the straights are pretty close on the straights... of course the Omni is only on 5 out of 20psi.

Volare hits something like 55mph in 1st gear.

Last edited:

53ryder

Reaction score
K cars are cheap. Bought this 1986 Reliant for $1900 over the Labor Day weekend. Too bad there isn't a 'For K Bodies Only' forum. Apparently not enough interest....yet.

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

53ryder

Reaction score
Been member of 'A' Bodies and 'C' Bodies forum. As well as 'FJM' Bodies. Like the atmosphere here. Don't want to go elsewhere. Oh well.....

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the forums owner, but I don't mind the posts here. The K, E and G bodies came in just as FMJ's went out.

Ele115

Reaction score
There is another forum out there some of us have been on. They are complete a-holes. I doubt if anyone still uses it anymore

53ryder

Reaction score
Well, truth be told, we all have the capacity to be knuckleheads at times as Ele115 suggests. I like the sharing of information and passion about Mopar that I've found on the 3 forums I've played with here (A, C, FMJ bodies).

Glenn

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's been a couple forums I WAS on in the past but left them because of the a-holes, bickering, etc. One was a Mopar forum but apparently unless it's an A, B, or E body built between 1964 and 1974, it isn't a "real" Mopar, and it had better not have a S6 or 318. Mopar snobs I call them. The other was for Dakota's and wow, what a bunch of whiny, sniveling, pricks. As for this forum, no problems!

Back