latch/ car seat tethering system

picklesgarage

Reaction score
hoping this is the right area for this.
to start its an 86 5th Ave.
has anyone here added any of the "universal" tethering systems to their M body? my toddlers seat doesn't allow the center buckle to be in a place that isn't sticking into his back. he has out grown his rear facing bucket that didn't have this problem. https://www.amazon.com/GSKMOTOR-Uni...cphy=9002437&hvtargid=pla-1136505697392&psc=1
not sure if the link will help. its to one of the kits to add the anchor points to the car. hoping someone else has run into this problem either with these or other classic cars that can give some good advice

Aspen500

Reaction score
I would think as long as you can tether the seat at the bottom (between the cushion and backrest) and then to the rear deck, it should work fine. Only thing I would say is, not sure if I'd trust a kit made in China. They're standards are much lower than the USA or Canada. Didn't see any country of origin listed in the link though.

I don't know what year auto manufacturers started making provisions for a car seat tether to the rear deck. At some point, there was a spot specifically made where you can add a tether hook up. Later of course, the tether and lower rings were factory installed.

picklesgarage

Reaction score
chrysler started adding them in the early 2000s, pretty much standard on todays cars. wasnt sure about this kit, or where its made. there are a couple listed as universal kits when googled. was thinking maybe there was a factory setup that could be modified to fit as well. was hoping someone has run into this and come up with a good working solution

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I don't see how the Amazon one installs.
The first style of anchors that was used in the 80s and 90s was a metal piece that bolted to the rear package shelf behind the seat and had a slot in it for a belt from the booster seat to go thru so that's the only factory thing that would have been around for these cars.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sorry, I've never run into it on "our cars", which is what you actually asked:). I did add them in back in the '90's on Ford's at the dealership (the tether point in the rear deck). What I meant was they didn't have tether points but the rear deck is made with a spot to add them where it's reinforced for the purpose, unsure of the year that started. None of the ones I did ever had a lower attachment added. I mean the one in the "crack" between the bottom of the backrest and back of the seat cushion.

picklesgarage

Reaction score
i had come across some heavy duty looking tie downs and was thinking maybe those would work attached at the seat belt buckles for the bottom end. not sure about the top. havent had the chance to really look at the problem

Back