Lean burn to GM TBI/Microsquirt conversion

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
I’ve been able to start putting miles on the car and by in large have the tuning dialed in. The idle algorithm could use a little more work and I still have the closed loop fueling to tune but she’s drivable and pulls good and runs 1000% smoother

I will have some before and after MPG data in the next couple weeks to post.

E84FAB44-6797-4BBC-9A15-18B3C4E2DB03.jpeg

Ele115

Reaction score
How much laughing gas you have in mind? I was loving it in my 86 Diplomat but got a bit carried away. The first time it just blew out the head gaskets. The second time they held, but I lost third gear and floated a few valves. Hopefully you go with a rev limiter and keep the gas under 200. 452 heads and 0.020 Shim gaskets with the copper goop. 150 on the spray next time
Broke head dip.png

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
I’ve been driving and enjoying the car and up until this weekend it’s been trouble free.

but since the weekend the car has developed a strange issue I haven’t been able to diagnose yet.

it bogs down and even dies out but only when turning right and only then when you do so with a little momentum.

?????

LSM360

Reaction score
Also check the lines where they run over the frame by passenger wheel. They are prone to rusting out and leaking there from dirt accumulation holding dampness against them like a sponge.
He speaks the truth. Mine weren't rusted luckily but omgosh, all the dirt I dug out of there!!!

Duke5A

Reaction score
I’ve been driving and enjoying the car and up until this weekend it’s been trouble free.

but since the weekend the car has developed a strange issue I haven’t been able to diagnose yet.

it bogs down and even dies out but only when turning right and only then when you do so with a little momentum.

?????

Is the fuel pickup coming uncovered and the pump sucking air? No baffling in these tanks and they don't work well for EFI conversions.

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
I hope not but if so you’d think it’d do it left too

since the last post I did some driving and logging. I’ve figured out how to make it act up on demand. When it does the crank position is losing sync. It’s something to do with the sensor and mounting. I’ve already gone over that part of the wiring and it still does it.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Does your setup have a fuel pressure sensor?

I have a similar fuel setup with the Sniper EFI on my car. Pump is external and mounted in front of the tank just behind the axle. It's easy to get the thing to suck air. This is why I'm building a new baffled tank for the car. I know there are retrofit kits, but they would all protrude far enough up to where they would contact the trunk pan.

20180511_162540.jpg

20180513_161947.jpg

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
I finally figured out the misfiring issue. It was essentially installation error.

I ended up remaking the bracket and switching to a generic threaded vr sensor. That made it better but the underlying issue was still there.

well it turns out that a microsquirt isn’t nearly as water resistant as I had thought. Apparently my overflow bottle was overflowing coolant onto and into the microsquirt itself. This explains why my problem was motion dependent

installation error

FE5AE4FE-5870-4757-9177-ED5FAD84D12D.jpeg

A888501C-FD6F-4EA1-BE3F-A5D8D89BB303.jpeg

A5179B45-5317-4B8B-85DE-F141E811D00F.jpeg

Back