lense fix idea

slant6billy

Reaction score
OK. I have all kinds of tail lenses that are sun beat and spider cracked through the red and amber (78 only). So starting with the worse set I cleaned them as best I could and rubber cemented the parts that started to split. Now since my car is a 79 and it does not have the bulb for the amber, it means less taping off. I used blue painters' tape to cover the clear lenses (reverse light).

I picked up this stuff called "Night Shades" in red "see through" paint. They make night shades in black for tinting tail lenses and other light lenses.

So now I've done a few more lenses that were destined for the trash heap. So If you have red lenses that are really bad or want custom, but are not sure- try that as a fix. I'll post a pic on this latest set after they dry tomorrow

slant6billy

Reaction score
100_3098.jpg
100_3099.jpg

Now that one is still only one coat and the other was done last year to avoid the trash can and is one coat as well

100_3098.jpg

100_3099.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
No Capt, that is sprayed on the outside surface. I only lightly sanded, but the weathered plastic soaks the paint up. It still has the blue painter's tape on it.

ramenth

Reaction score
Instead of rubber cement, next time try Super Glue, the flow kind, into the crack. I've got pics on the desktop of bringing a set of Duster taillights back to life using them. Once the crack was filled with Super Glue (transparent when it dried) and the lenses were polished, you'd never know they were cracked.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I have packs of those in single use, but as usual my CRS kicked in and could not find them. The single use little ones are the way to go. Everytime I tried to go back to the large bottle it had cured and met the trashcan. I have a rattle can of "clear effex" I may try on a clear lense. The reverse light section does not seem to have the issues the amber or red suffer.

tim berry

Reaction score
Nice !also the company that I got my casting resin from sells some plastic casting stuff to reproduce the whole lens if you really need to go that route especially if you have prewar or real rare lenses. aero marine is the name of the company there are others also

Last edited:
Back