Lifter guide retaining plate?

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’m rebuilding the 318 out of my 88 Dippy.The block has the provisions to have roller lifters,so I’m deciding to do so.I’ve been looking online for a oem lifter guide plate that bolts into the valley.I haven’t had any success on finding one,I’ve found plenty of ones for Chevy and ford.I hope i called this part by its correct term! Any help in the right direction to get one is appreciated. Thanks

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Spyder and Dogbones are the common name used

The spyder PN 4323207 RETAINER-TAPPET YOKE ALIGNING
The DB-s PN 4483045 RETAINER-TAPPET ALIGNING

Neither are available from chrysler any longer. You can still find china made dog bones.

If you dont have lifers and push rods yet, id let go of the junk in the pics. It looks like I wont ever use them but they are all chrysler dealership parts. 1 Spyder, 8 D bones, 16 lifters and 16 pushrods.

But you can easily find a used one out of a junk yard or used parts motor, just try to find a low mile one. Ive seen a few weak ones and one cracked one over the last 5 years as they do now seem to wear out.

View attachment 31702

View attachment 31703

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Last edited:

88_AHB

Reaction score
As of right now my motor was a non roller so i'd need it all.I'd be interested in what you have if youre willing to let it go.I've also thought of trying to find a set of lifters that are the retro ones,or have the z bar connecting them?

88_AHB

Reaction score
Are the lifters and spiders the same for a magnum motor? More available.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Yes pre mag and mag spyders are swapable, Im pretty sure the pushrods would be different since the mags oil through the pushrods and so im not fully sure the lifters would swap but I think so, Ive never heard of having to swap roller lifters to bolt on mag heads.

Google will tell you alot and this is a good site.

(no title)

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Your ’88 would have been a roller engine – so it sounds like someone had been into it before and replaced with non-roller parts.
BudW

88_AHB

Reaction score
I've heard from some people that dodge didnt have all of these motors equipped with roller setup?Though all of them had the holes in the valley for it to do so? Any confirmation on this?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Its a 50/50 mix, the transitional years were a real pain and hard to tell until you got them apart. many pre mag roller block came with hydro flat tappet cams.

AHB, I might do myself out of a sale here but you need to check you heads for the size of the pushrod holes, the non roller heads have the std. .500 push rod hole, the roller heads are .675 due to the shorter push rod causing a more extreme angle then normal. Unless you want to grind on your smaller heads if thats the case, some do some dont.

DSC00038.JPG

DSC00039.JPG

Last edited:

88_AHB

Reaction score
My heads are the 360 ones,#4323345 casting 4bbl heads suppose to be 1.88/1.60,70cc chambers give or take?Car came from the factory as a 4bbl still had the cast iron intake too I ran the vin# to confirm. Those heads were made from 85-87?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Id guess your heads probably would have the smaller holes, but if you can do your own rebuild motor and have access to a die grinder and a 15$ bur off ebay, you can clearance your heads in about an hour. Mopar made the holes bigger because it was quick and easy but they really just need to be elongated a bit to work. I could post pics of J heads I did.

A hydro roller over a ft cam is a jump to the next world performance wise and worth it imo.

You will notice that all aftermarket al. heads come with a bit larger holes then oem heads partially for that reason.

Last edited:
Back