looking for old cop rims. these any good?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting ten police wheels (two sets of four, plus spares).

The eBay (set of four - above link) will cost me $525.70 (US) total delivered (including sales tax).

If you get the wheels from the manufacture (69 series Black Chrysler Steel Wheels | Wheel Vintiques® ) for same size wheel (15x8” w/5x4.5” bolt pattern, either backspacing option) it will cost me $645.36 (US) plus sales tax.

he main thing is Wheel Vintiques wants to charge $170 to ship four wheels, whereas Summit appears to have free shipping.
BudW

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Thought squad rims were 7inch wide?
Do they repop the SC/GT wheels also?
That's a great price they want 75-100 each for USED wheels..

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I can recollect, all factory police wheels (BCFM-body) were 15x7” with 5x4.5” bolt pattern. There might be a difference on backspacing through the years (maybe) – for not checked that aspect.

The problem with used wheels is first you have to find ‘em. When you do find them, there is no telling how much abuse they have been subjected to (flat spots, bent, etc.) and/or rust issues. For a few more $ you can get new, it will already look sharp and a lot easier to paint (if needed).

I’ve never worked on nor seen up close a SC/GT wheel – so can’t comment about them much, but I think they are 8” wide. The wheels do not have the three spots needed to hold the small hubcaps in place.
Police Wheel 1a.jpg

I would think someone who makes police wheels could also make a batch of SC/GT wheels and in proper color – but I also don’t want to speak on their behalf.

This company's choice of sizes:
Annotation 2020-03-05 105445.jpg

I'd bet they could also make custom widths or backspacing if asked - but I'm sure the costs would be more.
BudW

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Thanks Budw..
Wonder why WV doesn't lust them,you'd think they would sell just like cop wheels maybe better..
I'm sure they can make ANY wheel..
Never knew they repopped them till this post so if/when I'm in the market...bammo..
Knew they did ralley wheels..
Didn't see Magnums either?

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
glad i didn't get those if they can't hold dog dishes! i'll wait and see if i can find a real oem pair. thanks for the info guys!

MBDale

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, up here in Canada about 4 years ago I picked up a very nice original set of cop rims, nice, straight for $300 CAN.

Ele115

Reaction score
I have the Wheel Vintiques on two of my Furys. They were about 10% over the price of good used ones and I didn't have to fart around with media blasting and paint stripper and all of that drama you can expect with 35 year old wheels. I'm about to get a set for my 75 Coronet, even though they would not be the correct wheels for that year. It's kind of weird that so many people want these wheels now. I used to buy a lot of AHB or A38 cars at auction and "un-police" them. Took the wheels off and I would find rallye wheels from the junkyard and put those on and put carpet in over the rubber flooring. Those big four doors looked pretty good with rallyes or road wheels and white letters. Even some of the cops started doing this to their take home cars.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've heard mopar cop wheels are heavier than the aftermarket ones.

Ele115

Reaction score
They felt the same to me, but I didn't throw mine on a scale. If my old wheels had weighed a bit more, I would likely chalk that up to the 15 coats of old paint and old dried out tar-type bead sealer. That's why I took them off, they were just so old and I didn't feel like stripping them. I sold them and got new ones

Ele115

Reaction score
I have two OEM's at the shop, I may have to weigh one now that you bring that up. I believe they are Kelsey Hayes but not 100% sure

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've never scaled on but its something that I heard 30 years ago.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The police wheels are made from thicker metal - so they are a bit heaver from the "normal" wheel.
Now the aftermarket repops - I can't comment on.
BudW

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
I have the Wheel Vintiques on two of my Furys. They were about 10% over the price of good used ones and I didn't have to fart around with media blasting and paint stripper and all of that drama you can expect with 35 year old wheels. I'm about to get a set for my 75 Coronet, even though they would not be the correct wheels for that year. It's kind of weird that so many people want these wheels now. I used to buy a lot of AHB or A38 cars at auction and "un-police" them. Took the wheels off and I would find rallye wheels from the junkyard and put those on and put carpet in over the rubber flooring. Those big four doors looked pretty good with rallyes or road wheels and white letters. Even some of the cops started doing this to their take home cars.
interesting that people used to unpolice these cars. our grey Diplomat AHB was brown with spokes when we first got it but still had all the AHB perks like the oil gauge and beefed up suspension. nowadays people buy crown vics to look like cops!

Ele115

Reaction score
When I bought a lot of these, people wouldn't buy them if they noticed that they were ex-fleet. They assumed they were junk, and back then they often weren't An example was FHP had decent maintenance budget and sold them when they reached 60K. Dress them up like civilian cars, and the A/C was always cold in them, with a nice cheap carpet, paint the tan part black and the spotlight hole covered....some normal wheels all the buyer noticed was the cold A/C and any little things they liked or disliked. Nowadays, the weirdos want to turn everything into cop cars....Gran Marquis even. They want other motorists to think they are cops I think, which is the last thing a sane person would want.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
When I bought a lot of these, people wouldn't buy them if they noticed that they were ex-fleet. They assumed they were junk, and back then they often weren't An example was FHP had decent maintenance budget and sold them when they reached 60K. Dress them up like civilian cars, and the A/C was always cold in them, with a nice cheap carpet, paint the tan part black and the spotlight hole covered....some normal wheels all the buyer noticed was the cold A/C and any little things they liked or disliked. Nowadays, the weirdos want to turn everything into cop cars....Gran Marquis even. They want other motorists to think they are cops I think, which is the last thing a sane person would want.
i got a civillian model but my dad owns two AHB's. i'm often conflicted on weather i want my car to look like a police car. i just think the dog dishes look nice but its already so nice i like the luxury look every now and then. got turbine caps on now. i switch it up often

Back