Lug nut question

lowbudget

Reaction score
Do the 15" Road wheels that I picked up take the conical acorn or the bulged acorn lug nut? Or does it matter? I'm at work ordering stuff for the new Diplomat and would like to know. T.I.A.
road wheels.jpeg.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In the '60's to early '70's, These were the lug nuts used. They were solid and chromed. For the most part – a well made nut.
mopar-5014-5015-lugnuts.png

I'm not sure when (late '70's or early '80's, they went to a bulged nut that had a stainless steel cap on the end.
Cap nuts.jpg

These nuts are, well, (insert your own four-letter word here), just not worth wasting any money on. They will fall apart. The middle part is prong to rusting – and/or worse, leaving behind threads on lug studs (cross-threading) and other malady's. The Right-most nut (above picture is a much better solid nut (but also more expensive).

Being I have removed many a wheel, I much prefer the longer nuts. I also think the wheel pictured (above) looks better with the longer nut. That said, most (if not all) of the longer nuts do not have the bulge on them until more recently, The bugle nuts do seam to prevent damage to the wheel where nuts contact it at.

I will not recommend the “capped” nut to anyone, even my worst enemy. A solid version of the short nut is a good nut – but I still prefer the longer version (which now comes bulged).

This set is a nice set (IMO)
51JBjjEX6bL._SX425_.jpg

Wheels can come and go. My opinion is to spend the extra money and get a good set of lugnuts. I've changed enough broken/cross-threaded lug studs to not do any more.

This style nut is OK - but should always be behind a hubcap (out of the weather).
3548-003.JPG

BudW

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more, will you have to buy a half size socket to get a swollen lug nut off you know the pieces of crap. I know Ford and Chrysler did it to look pretty, I bet if those Engineers had to take them things off they would shoot themselves for doing it to begin with. And of course it's the technicians fault were they strip and or the shops fault

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A nice set!
I went to look at your purchase and was a bit odd-struck with it.
Annotation 2019-09-17 160238.png

23 lug nuts?
I can see sets of 16, 20 and 24 (4, 5 and 6 nuts per wheel). But 23?
Then thought about externally mounted spare tires and figured that is where the extra nuts are for. On that note, why couldn't a person use a couple of existing nuts for the external spare?
I'm still shaking my head with 23 nut set.

I do highly encourage getting a spare “installation Socket”. Put one in glove box and other in with your jack. It never fails – the “installation Socket” can't be found when needed (on side of road, or wherever). I have even been guilty of leaving the "tool" on side of road after a flat (but at least I had a spare).
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If you have work done at mechanics, get at least 2 spares. One in the glove box, one with the jack, and one at home. I have had 4 locks lost by my Lincoln dealer when I had my Mark VIII. They were good mechanics, they just couldn't keep track of the key.

lowbudget

Reaction score
3 lug nuts?
I can see sets of 16, 20 and 24 (4, 5 and 6 nuts per wheel). But 23?
Then thought about externally mounted spare tires and figured that is where the extra nuts are for. On that note, why couldn't a person use a couple of existing nuts for the external spare?
I'm still shaking my head with 23 nut set.

I did the same thing. I looked through all the different sets and finally I just figured spares.

Davesmopar

Reaction score
23 lug nuts would most likely be for a jeep or anything with a 5th wheel mounted on the back..... most all the 5th wheels mount with the at this time

Back