M-Body - What to look for

charlie2951

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Recently I've been looking hard for an M-Body to buy. I don't have any experience with these cars mechanically, although I love them.

If I'm going to buy one privately, do you have any advice on what I should be looking for mechanically? Any common problems that you gurus are familiar with? :) Or, are there important parts that certain cars have that others don't, beyond the axle ratios and type of torqueflite?

Thanks!

charlie2951

Reaction score

Thanks, I have seen Darth Car. Incredible machine. I've been stalking the forums for a while, even though I just joined. My price range is lower than that right now, there are a few I've gone to see in the $1,000 - $2,500 range. I live in a city, so I don't feel comfortable taking a cream puff, especially a perfect car like that. If it picked up a door ding, I would never forgive myself.

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's an '85 5th Ave in Mopar Collectors Guide. It says 318, gray/silver, leather, with 83,200 miles for $2,500. On the downside, it looks to be in Nebraska (a long way from you). On the upside, I don't think cars rust too bad in Nebraska.
308-380-5949 in case you're interested.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
7T8 Custom beat me to the opening line of here is the perfect car for you. Thank you buddy for being on top of the requests. :)

Darth Car is a lovely machine, and lacking in that power rust that you see out East, but he is no concourse queen by any stretch of the imagination. He is a great 10 footer. He has his parking lot scrapes. The thing that sets him apart in pictures is he has a lovely set of 4 undented wheel well moldings.

You may have a budget, but you get what you pay for with these cars. With all of the work that has gone into this car to make it into a nice daily driver I will not see that type of resale. I just want the car to go someplace where it will be driven, and well loved.

So ask your questions, and make your offers, it is all part of the fun conversation. You never know I might even say yes. I have only said no to one offer, because this is not a $2,000 car. :)

Ele115

Reaction score
I think he's asking for an overall "what do you find wrong?" when looking at these old cars

Ele115

Reaction score
Like any other car you are considering, take coveralls and an flashlight. Get under the car and look it over. Any car parked in the grass could be sign of major leaks, especially if the engine compartment or trans has just been washed off. Watch for rust under vinyl tops, leaking windshields, check the wiper operation, pay attention to the lockup torque convertor. Run all of the windows up and down. More than likely the A/C will blow warm. The heater core may be bypassed. In some states you will want working heat. Budget for this. How long have they owned the car? If only a short time why? Don't buy a car that's in primer. DON'T.

Good luck!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
You may have a budget, but you get what you pay for with these cars.
I would agree with Darth-Car. I have put way more into OY than I could ever expect to get in resale. Things add up quickly, and that $1000 - $3000 car soon doesn't seem to be such a bargain. ;)

Aspen500

Reaction score
On an F/M/J body, check the subframe rails for rot, especially the left front down towards the firewall and also the front portions of the rear subframe rails near the spring hangers. Either one is not the end of the world, it can be repaired but it's something to keep in mind.
If it has Lean Burn or Electronic Spark Control, make sure the car starts, idles, and drives as it should. Again, a problem with one of those systems isn't a death sentence. Parts are available or, better yet if the system has failed, you can convert to standard electronic ignition fairly easy.

Those are a couple of the "common" problems. Keep in mind, a $1,500-$2,000 car is not going to be perfect. LOL, Thank you Mr. Obvious, right?:D

Ele115

Reaction score
Yes, you will be working on it, as you would any used car. It's best to choose what type of work you will be doing ahead of time.

Ele115

Reaction score
You basically have a car in mind. You have some skills, and funds (future and present). You look at a car and assess what that car is, how far that car is from what you envision and what you have to put into it to get it there. Then you have to be realistic about whether you have the resources, skills, time, parts connections etc to get it there with your budget and your particular situation. If you go way over budget, you may end up with a half completed car and a sour marriage, or you end up selling it. You sometimes realize you could have bought a very nice complete vehicle for less and never had the headaches. You have to be able to appraise a car and your abilities and resources objectively and form a plan.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
I sent you a message, since you're not far from me I'd be happy to help you come look at some cars or give you tips.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Check the condition of the control arms if you can, one of my old Ms the left upper control arm gave out on the highway when I had to make a sudden turn to avoid a crash, due to it being severely rusted-it had been parked on a lawn for close to a decade...ended up needing all new brake and fuel lines too for the same reason, also the factory carburetors can be very temperamental, I've personally had little trouble otherwise with these cars (I'm on my fourth M body) though I did recently have to have a new (used) differential put in, and the alignment is really screwed up, though that's because the roads where I used to live were in terrible shape, and engine and transmission are still great

Last edited:

charlie2951

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. @Ele115 , @Aspen500 , @MoparDan - That's what I'm looking for, thanks for taking the time for letting me know what to look for. Comments from people who have owned these cars are invaluable to me.

Regarding what @old yellow 78 and @Darth-Car mentioned, it's a very tough decision. My budget is where it is not because I have the money and I'm going small, but because I don't really have the money for much more right now. So should I wait and not get an M-body for responsibility's sake? Or just dive in the $2k range, knowing it won't be perfect? These cars are getting rarer, and I'm not getting younger haha. I'd like to get into it now, before I have the chance to settle down, etc. I'm sure lots of people struggle with this kind of decision with cars and other hobbies!

@89.Fifth - I'm going to message you, thank you, that's very generous.

Ele115

Reaction score
Those chinese vented hubcaps look too shiny, but the car looks good. Would like to see the underside of that

Ele115

Reaction score
None of mine are chrome plated. I've polished a few sets, but never got them like mirrors. I wonder if the re-pops will rust when the chrome starts flaking off

barbee6043

Reaction score
Just remember with any old car, unless the PO has replaced repaired every single thing, IF you drive it you will make repairs!

Back