Mahindra Roxor. OK, I get it... But I won't get one...

Greg55_99

Reaction score
If you been following the saga of the Mahindra Roxor, you'd know that they are pretty much old school Jeep CJ's, built under license in India. However, the Roxor we get over here is ASSEMBLED in Michigan from mostly India sourced parts and sold as an off road only vehicle.

I like it and I get the love a lot of customers have for it. It's cheap. It's easy to work on and big fun. I really get it... BUT... It's not street legal. That's the deal breaker. Now I know there is a company that says they can MAKE it street legal, but it's a state by state thing. They can make it legal in say, North Dakota, but it may not be legal in Ohio. Since I have no interest in buying a vehicle I'd have to trailer from mud pit to mud pit... you won't find one in my garage... Even though I really do love the thing...

Greg

Camtron

Reaction score
$15k, can add options putting it well over $30k and not street legal in most states. That’s a pass for me. I saw a couple of them getting trailed on the highway a few months ago, neat looking little things.
I bet Arizona will let you plate one. They plate 2stroke Yamaha banshees. Mirrors, turn key ignition, headlight, taillight, brake lights and turn signals and Arizona will plate just about anything with wheels and an engine. Used to see a caged 55 bel air dragster with tubbed rear end and a packed parachute and street plates at the grocery store all the time when I was in College out there.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
2000000030.jpg

If you want to buy a brand new 1951 Jeep CJ, this is your meat. BUT, if you want to drive something like that on the street, you'd better find a REAL 1951 Jeep CJ.

Greg

Duke5A

Reaction score
$15k base for one of those things and it ain't even street legal?! Buy an actual Jeep! Where is the market supposed to be for such a thing?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Being a new vehicle, I'm sure it would have to meet all U.S. safety and emission standards to become street legal. Air bags, tire pressure monitor system, antilock brakes and stability control, on and on, blah, blah, blah, regulate, regulate, regulate...........................
For that money you could buy an old CJ from the southwest (or any place like that where they didn't rust into a heap 30 years ago already) and completely rebuild it from the ground up and even install a modern powertrain and, it would be street legal. JMO.

Mahindra, don't they make garden tractors or something like that?

Aspen500

Reaction score
It's only old news if you've heard that particular news before. If you've never heard it, then it's new news. So there.:D

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I was out at the the boys cub scout leaders farm in there shop for a meeting Monday night. And lined up along one wall there was at least 130K worth of toys. Big camper, a pair of 25k side by sides two 4 wheelers etc. etc. etc. it just goes on and on. A new Cad SUV outside beside a new GM diesel pickup on a farm that every building is new, house, shop and 40x 120' shed.
What's 15k for a toy jeep?
I could never figure out who was buying the side by sides to modify in the first place.

Greg55_99

Reaction score

Well... The salesman says to you "For $15,000, we've got a brand spankin' new 1962 Jeep CJ on the showroom floor. Brand spankin' new! Drive it away. Bring in that old piece of crap and drive away in a brand spankin' new one. Trouble is, you just can't get a plate or insurance for it. Call us at BR-549!"

Would you take that?

Greg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Back