Marty Robbins 777 Mopar

slant6billy

Reaction score
Don't know much about it. I dig the old Country gents because they all had there own sound. Marty Robbins actually raced a mopar with a Hemi and then a 440 with no wins, but top finishes. I'm surprised more on this was made popular.

My imp

Reaction score
Country music didn't explode until later. Back then, he was just another good old boy scratchin' an itch. Try to get away with that now!

Erics5th

Reaction score
Don't forget this one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGpFouzKnN4 A follow up to El Paso, referring to himself as "the singer" in a song from long ago. Brilliance. Gunfighter Ballads was probably the first concept album way before The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds) and The Beatles (Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band). I have a Johnny Lightning Marty Robbins 72 Charger around here someplace...

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
Didn't El Paso come out in the seventies? Sgt. Pepper came out in '67, Pet Sounds '68 or '69 I believe. Pepper was written in '65 &'66. BTW Carlisle tickets are gone at RockAuto.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Didn't El Paso come out in the seventies? Sgt. Pepper came out in '67, Pet Sounds '68 or '69 I believe. Pepper was written in '65 &'66. BTW Carlisle tickets are gone at RockAuto.

Gunfighter ballads....the album with El Paso came out in 1959.
A pop song running four minutes back then was unheard of.

Erics5th

Reaction score
Your thinking El Paso City from 1976. That was the sequel to El Paso. Feleena was the prequel that came out in 1966. Pet Sounds came out the same year, one of the inspirations to The Beatles.

My imp

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one I remember. When the first one came out in '59, I was one year old, & my music taste hadn't quite developed. While my love of music developed at an early age, just not that young. While a life long Beatles fan, I must admit that my country/western knowledge is severely lacking. The Beatle influence ran deeper than just about any band in history. The Beatles & Grand Funk Railroad are the reasons I started playing guitar in the first place. Although on one hand, you have arguably the greatest, most talented song writers in history vs. the most disrespected band in the history of rock. The records they set, all their achievements, & I can all but guarantee they'll never make the R&R Hall of Shame. But good thing Madonna & LL Cool J are in there. Along with a bunch of one hit wonders that only the selection committee ever heard of. Conway Twitty's in the Rock hall! Just wish they had a consistent formula for election. That's like me saying Terry Bradshaw doesn't belong in the Football Hall of Fame because he's a Pittsburgh Steeler, & I'm from Cleveland. Grand Funk was the first American band with 10 consecutive minimum of gold albums. Sold out Shea stadium for two concerts faster than the Beatles could for one. Highest grossing tour of '96, when they recorded the Bosnia double live disc, plus many other records. But because the critics don't feel that they paid their dues, they should be shunned from the Hall

Erics5th

Reaction score
I agree. The RRHoF is a joke. I would like to see Roxy Music in, but that will never happen. Huge influence on many of the 2nd British Invasion bands of the late 70's and early 80's and a unique sound all their own.

My imp

Reaction score
Brian Ferry, Eno, influenced culture as well as music. Spandeau Ballet got in , didn't they? Poor mans Roxy Music!

Back