mopar crash

My imp

Reaction score
Kaase racing Boss 9 HEMI head engine. Turns a 460 into a monster. The Cleveland is no harder (actually easier & lighter than any of the FE family) to fit in many apps than the BB Fords. Ask any Pantera owner. True the 302 & 351W are lighter & more compact, but imagine if the same effort had been placed on the 351C, as was placed on the Windsor to make it competitive with the Cleveland. The UAW I'm sure had more than a little to do with pushing the Windsor over the Cleveland. You can use off the shelf components to turn the 351W into a 427. What kind of power would a 427C make? Alloy block & heads? John Force was turned down when he wanted to put the Boss 9 HEMI in his funny car. Why? God forbid we actually nurture a little competition! What about the SOHC engine? I would actually welcome these in all motorsports. There's no such thing as a two door, V8 pushrod, carburated, rear wheel drive available from anyone currently racing in NASCAR. As with NHRA Mopar comes closest. And they can't even run what they build. Let's take the very latest & greatest technology, & let's go racing again, instead of these cookie cutter race cars. The tire tech has caught up road materials, aero, engine, driver training. This ain't your Daddy's NASCAR anymore. All you need is safety rules. This bullsh*t of penalizing a manufacturer for going faster, is just that. Have the slower companies (Chevy) catch up. Can't catch the Mopar & Ford aero cars? Basically, outlaw them by making them run small blocks. Can't outrun the engines from Mopar & Ford? No problem, once again, outlaw them. No Hemi's, no OHC's, no problem! Hey, welcome to the '80's! Finally, you can run fuel injection! I'm surprised they didn't make them run mechanical injection! As long as everything is being done to protect driver & fan alike, let them race! They even let people of color & the female of the species race now! There's hope for them yet. Danica, while quite the biotch, has really filled the NASCAR coffers. Now with minority drivers being fast tracked through the system, the only thing lacking, is the cars. Peel the decals off of those things, & unless you're real familiar with roof templates, good luck identifying what just zipped past at close to 200 mph!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Nascar needs to get real, again. Stop trying to race cookie cutter cars with decals that make them a Ford, Chevy, or Toyota. Instead of running rear wheel drive non-existent V8 sedan based coupes (Impalas, Fusions, and Camrys), run Camaros, Challengers and Mustangs. At least they are rear wheel drive, V8 powered cars that regular folks can identify with. And let them run their own body shapes, not just Version 389 of the "Car of Tomorrow". Set an intake restriction of a given size (or two if you want to run one size for the super speedways and short tracks), fuel limit for the race, maximum number of gears, and minimum weight. Then its all free. Want to run carbs? Fine. Fuel injection? Fine. Aluminum block? Fine. Cast iron block? Fine. OHV? Fine. SOHC/DOHC? Fine. Hemi? Fine Wedge? Fine. All that based on stock production pieces, built at no less a quantity of 10,000 or 25,000 cars/year. No turbos. Safety regulations must be air tight and closely scrutinized. The rest becomes free and open.

Kostas

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
We pretty much agree on most things. I feel like I said, no decal cars, no restrictions, only production cars. Pretty much, whatever year you want to run. Hudson was legislated out of racing. They never stopped winning. If the aero cars are the fastest, design something faster. Imagine the Hemi's with EFI & all modern fuels & lubricants. Whatever isn't competitive, won't be around long. In short order, you'll have only the fastest, most competitive cars & drivers. Get rid of this stupid ass point system the way it stands, along with the race for the chase for the race playoff format. Give points for poles, most laps led, & wins. None of this Jimmy Johnson bullsh*t of laying back & leading the most laps w/o wins. I'd rather see Kasey Kahne bust his arse trying to lead every lap & win the race, over JJ's Sunday cruise. Don't get me wrong, it's his strategy that won him 6 championships. But one of those championships at least would've gone to Jeff Gordon. He was the first of the new breed of drivers. Everyone hated him for it. But that guy raced from the first to last lap.

ramenth

Reaction score
You guys are forgetting something... the France family hates the auto manufacturers. If they could regulate them out of the sport the France family would be perfectly happy with that. That's one the reasons the cars are sticker cars and pretty much the same. The auto manufacturers are a necessary evil.

My imp

Reaction score
I was leaving that part out. Billy Sr. Hated Chrysler with a passion. All the money that Chevy put in his pocket in advertising dollars, would bring Billy out swinging with weight penalties, aero rules, etc.. Always against everyone BUT Chevy. Remember Million Dollar Bill from Dawsonville? Can't have Ford kicking Chevy's arse on a weekly basis. Chevy looked like the guys that cleaned up after the elephants at the circus! While it was that very car ('84 T-bird) that got Fords jellybean look going. Chevy had nothing for it. I still remember when Billy imposed weight penalties on them. But when the Monte Carlos's passed the Fords, it was just "good competition", what BS! Hudson Hornet the same thing! Can't beat it, legislate it into oblivion!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The Monte Carlo's and the Grand Prix's ended up with the modified front ends and back windows. Really didn't amount to much of a challenge until the weight penalties kicked in. The '84 Tbird was so much more aerodynamic that it was, you put it, a joke.

The France family doesn't really like racing, period. They would really rather have the contrived drama of drivers having grudges with each other than having a race go to the fastest car on the track. They want a "show", not a race. In many ways, this is as real as professional wrestling, except that the winner is not pre-determined (as far as we know).

I used to be a real Nascar fan in the days of Cale Yarborough and David Pearson, and later on with Bill Elliot. Right now, I can't stand Nascar, everything is so cookie cutter. Innovation for the sake of gaining an advantage gets legislated out of existence. All the cars are the same, one of 3 engines, and the same chassis/suspension/transmission/rear end.

I am still a fan of Formula 1, but the rules are getting so restrictive there too, that I don't know how long I will continue to follow that format, either. I think the only real format that has true freedom to innovate is World Sports Car (LeMans type cars). Fastest cars on the planet, given a long enough track in terms of top speed. Innovation in design and engines is still possible.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
F1 is a high speed parade anymore. Compare the racing in "Rush" with what goes onion F1 today. The engine/chassis selection is almost as bad as NASCAR. And just TRY to get an American driver an even chance over on that side of the pond. I used to volunteer at the Cleveland Grand Prix. The France family must've butt mated with the George family, & their offspring screwed up not one, but two forms of American racing. And seeing as they were in the process of absorbing all forms of sports car racing as their "minor leagues", they managed to flush those down as well. The only true form of racing left, is illegal street racing. GO! I win, you win. What could be simpler. As soon as there's money to be made, someone slaps a set rules, & some fancy go fast stickers on it, charges admission, & calls it a series! When I was a kid, to stem the street racing in the area, the cops let guys block streets, & race a few hrs. on Saturday night. The entrance fees some tracks are charging aren't discouraging street racing, they're encouraging it! We used to get as many passes as we could for gas money, now....... What 16 yr old kid has a car, entrance fees, plus, the nearest track to me is over an hr away, is going to drive 2 or more hrs round trip, to maybe get 2 or 3 passes in? Not many.

My imp

Reaction score
Something that really doesn't get bantered about much, is the drivers themselves. Talk about cookie cutter vanilla ice cream! Remember where NASCAR got its start? A bunch of (illegal) bootleggers got together to see whose car could avoid the Revenuers fastest. Now, they'd better not fart out of tune, let alone use the word fart in a sentence w/o fear of suspension, or loss of points. They all skip to the loo of the corporate drum, while not daring to show anything that would resemble a personality. I miss the days of the inarticulate good ole boy & his blowed up motor. Who can forget Cale Yarborough engaging in fisticuffs right on the infield. No one got suspended, no wins taken away, it was over & done with. But, in this day of PC, anyone who appears on TV has been labeled a role model. Is it worth it? I don't know, but I know I could never live up to that kind of scrutiny. I'm a firm believer in minding my own business, do unto others, as you would have done unto you, when I'm talking, you're listening. When I'm done, you're talking, & I'm listening. It's called conversation, & anything else is just plain rude. I really never cared WHO drove the car, I cared about the car they drove. I always liked the Mopar offerings, but congratulate a race winner, as long as there wasn't these penalties, & track debris that always shows up at the most opportune times. Who was that that they showed him throwing a piece of rollbar padding out of his window to draw a yellow flag? NASCAR had it from every angle. They had everything but fingerprints, but found the results inconclusive! Dale Earnhardt was the "Intimidator", but Ernie Irvine drove EXACTLY the same way, but he was wreckless, gonna kill someone, & called "Swervin' Irvine"(not sure of the spelling). That was exactly what Richard Petty said about Earnhardt when he started driving. A few years back, they pulled one of the NASCAR HEMI Chargers over to the Goodwood speed celebration. The crowds went NUTS watching that huge assed Mopar on the same track as Porsche, Lotus, Jaguar, etc.. They were all pulling for the Charger. I can't tell the difference between most cars in ANY series. Everything is corporate, plain Jane, cookie cutter, hogwash. I miss Jimmie Spencer's drunkin' arse, all but falling down after a good nights celebration after a race.

furiousman

Reaction score
well today my son and wife check the compression and this what we found / cyl's 1,3,5,7 are 154 to 155/ cyl's 2,4,6,8 are as follows cyl 2=180/cyl 4=150/ cyl 6=140/ cyl 8=170 are numbers within range or not please help

brotherGood

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what my dad said. He said they'd go out in the country and it'd be cool. Now, not so much. Im about an hour away from Kil-Kare, that's where I plan on going with mine. Its 10 dollars for tune and test..if I ever get past that, they put on a race every Friday night (Friday Night Lightz). Its pretty big. They also have imports vs domestic nights, a few others. But, if some ricer fool wants to race me..I'll invite him to tune and test and loser pays fuel and admission. But I don't really do it for the bucks, Id do it to show em what an old Mopar can do.

furiousman

Reaction score
well new carb came in and car started thank god and all your advice

Back