My Ebay 360

greyghost

Reaction score
Here's some pics of my 360 I stumbled across on ebay and won the bid at $500. It also came with an unattached 727. The 727 is talked about under "General M Body Discussions". The motor was listed as a 360. According to casting numbers it's a '74 360 block. I haven't torn the motor down yet because I wanted to gather resources (and cash). I have a stock 4bbl. intake that came off a motor home that I bought (also from ebay) about 3 years ago. I have pics of it also. Since taking the initial pics, I've removed the 2 bbl carb and all hoses. Since I knew it was going to be awhile before tearing it down, I removed the plugs and shot WD-40 into each cylinder and rotating the crank to get a good coating. I also made some sheet metal covers to cover the exhaust ports.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
LH1.JPG
LH2.JPG
LHVC.JPG
RH1.JPG
RH2.JPG

greyghost

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the 4 bbl. intake manifold. The first pic is as purchased and the rest are after I stripped the paint and cleaned things up. I have also plugged the 2 holes down in the plenum.
4bbl Intake 2.JPG
009.JPG
005.JPG
008.JPG
010.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You have a 360 (can tell a mile away, if I can see the balancer).
You also have a great start for your “powertrain upgrade”.

The intake is a ’79-84 version that cane out of B-van. One thing I can’t tell is if it is for a 318 or a 360.
The casting number will tell me – but I have a faster method.

273 and ’67-91 318’s has small intake and exhaust ports (except for police 318 4-bbls).
All 340 and ’71-92 360’s has large intake and exhaust ports.
The 318 4-bbl police engines use 360 heads and manifolds – but there are not many of them out there.
For sake of discussion – I will refer to small and big port intakes.

To know if a (small block) cylinder head or intake of question is small or large port:
Take your hand and put it in front of you.
Take your small finger and touch your thumb.
Insert the 3-remaining fingers into the intake port (heads or intake). At my finger width, 3 fingers will snuggly fit into the intake port on 340/360’s.
There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that my 3 fingers will fit into a 318 intake port (not without major physical harm).
Your finger width might be different.
This tip is great for swap meets or other places a person doesn’t have access to part numbers or with someone who might be telling a fib on things.

I’ve not tried Magnum heads – but would assume that would also have 3-finger intake ports.

I would make sure your intake is the 360 or 318 version – for if it is a 318, it will be your “restrictor”.
Even side by side, a 318 4-bbl intake looks very close to a large port intake. The only way I can tell is by using the 3-finger method (or via part or casting numbers).

Items I would like to know:
Do you live in or have plans on living in an emissions inspection area/state?
Are there small Allen head screws just below the exhaust ports on cylinder heads (that might be covered in paint)?
Do you have plans on using those valve covers? If so, are there any stamped holes in them?
I can understand waiting on money (good plan). Can you detail what your plans are for the engine?

No wrong answers to any of the any of the above questions. My (and others) answers might vary on other tips for you.
BudW

Back