Near Disaster!

Badasspen

Reaction score
In an attempt to find the overcharging problem with my 76 Aspen I switched the lead wires on the alternator and started the car. I immediately fried the tan lead wire from point to point. Geez what a mess!
I got everything cleaned up and referenced some wiring diagrams that tell me it shouldnt matter which wire tan or green is connected to each of the alternator terminals. Got any suggestions? It also says the alt. needs to be seperately grounded. Any input would be apprciated. :help:

Last edited:

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Save this picture to your computer, then you can open it up and zoom in on it...

76diagpage2.jpg

One of these terminal on the back is FLD + and one is FLD -...I can tell you tonight which wire goes where...the green wire is FLD - and the tan is FLD +

01-0152_bac.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Here you go...this might help...

MOPAR CHARGING SYSTEM - 1970 AND LATER

In 1970 Mopar switched from an analog type voltage regulator to a transistorized regulator. The basic circuit, shown in Diagram #2, is completely different. Before the voltage regulator monitored the (+) ignition voltage and opened/closed the (+) field circuit as needed to maintain a steady voltage. The 1970 design, instead, monitored the (+) field voltage and open/closed the (-) ground field as needed to maintain a steady voltage. To identify the (+) field circuit and (-) field circuit terminals on the alternator, look at the back of the alternator and put the "BATT" terminal at the 12 o'clock position. The two "FLD" terminals would appear as though they were at approximately the 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions. The terminal at 10 o'clock would be the (-) field circuit and 11 o'clock would be the (+) field circuit.

pic2.gif

Badasspen

Reaction score
I replaced the fried wire and go a new alternator, car runs fine but scared the crap out of me. Thanks for the input, you guys rock!

Badasspen

Reaction score
More cluster problems

Temp guage works sometimes, speedo is off by 25 to 35 mph (pegged at 80 MPH) I was wondering if there is another dash cluster style available, and maybe the correct speedo gear. 904 3 spd auto with 8.75 4.10 to 1, and 741 suregrip.

:confused2:

Back