Neutral Safety Switch 904 reverse lights not working.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Make any headway on the 6.1L?

Still at machine shop, if I leave it there until he has time he will do it at a better price, I can wait :)

I went to high school with the owner of the machine shop, what happened was I dropped off there for a sleeve, then I ended up needing some surgery that put me out of action for 6 week's so I called him up told him no rush, then I lost my full time employent due to covid19 so longer it takes now better it suits me.

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
So this is what has happened, there has been 2 904s (998 factory trans came with car and 904) the reverse lights did not work with the 998, I bought new switch and put in and still no reverse lights, I took the 998 out and sold it, I took the NSS switch out as it was new, I then had an early 1970s non lock up trans rebuilt, I had the new switch put into the rebuilt trans thinking I had an electrical fault, I think the NSS switch that is in the car now that works is the original one that came with the early 1970 904 trans I had rebuilt and I come to this conclusion because the plug would not fit it and I don't recall having any plug issues with the ebay faulty one or the one that came with the 998, so its possible the NSS is like 1972 or something and its still working!

Just remember this has happened over years not weeks so I have to think back a bit :)

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
When I built my car, I replaced the switch because the one the car had for years was bad (no reverse lights). Don't remember where I bought the new one but most likely it was made in China. Worked fine for a year or so. Then one day I drove home and parked the car in the back driveway before putting it in the garage. Went to start and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing. Like it wasn't in park. Tried neutral and wiggling the lever around, nothing. Ended up bypassing it by grounding the wire at the connector near the firewall on the right side to get the car indoors. When I checked, seemed all I could find were Chinese junk from the ones I looked at to that point. One evening over at my dad's talking cars (gee, how unusual, lol) I mentioned the switch. He said there was a jar with 3 or 4 Mopar one's on a shelf in the basement he kept out of various TF's and to just grab one. Screwed one of those used ones in and 7 years later, still working like a champ, both P/N start and B/U lamps.

volare 77

Reaction score
Mopar ones 2932820 or p2932820 for the longer style. I`m not sure of the part number for the shorter one. You can find NOS ones on ebay

Aspen500

Reaction score
Other than NOS, seems they're all made in China crap. Find a good original and it'll probably work forever.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Made in USA vs China may have changed quite a bit since I last looked a few years ago. It has on lots of other things. Used to be all China but now more and more items say USA on them, as it should be!

Back