New 2013 Dodge Dart is a Alfa Romea Neon

slant6billy

Reaction score
What do you get when you put the new Dodge Avenger front nose and new charger taillights on a defuct Neon?
Similar was done when the hung the Charger emblems on the 024, and the Duster name on the Spirit.
If they are going to reuse the name, try to respectfully honor the soul.

ramenth

Reaction score
Which soul would that be?

This one?

60dart1.jpg

This one?

'80diplodart.jpg

Or this one?

mexican-dart.jpg

60dart1.jpg

'80diplodart.jpg

mexican-dart.jpg

82Cordoba

Reaction score
I have a different view than a lot of people I have talked to about the new Darts. I'm not horribly crazy about the design. It seems like an updated Neon. But most people I have talked to say they are disrespecting the Dart name. I say how? What was the purpose of the Dart? A low priced economy car. What is the new Dart? A low priced economy car.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I have a different view than a lot of people I have talked to about the new Darts. I'm not horribly crazy about the design. It seems like an updated Neon. But most people I have talked to say they are disrespecting the Dart name. I say how? What was the purpose of the Dart? A low priced economy car. What is the new Dart? A low priced economy car.
Then ask us Aspen owners about the newer Aspen SUV. Or the Challenger people whom have a car that looks very close to the old Challenger and the opposite of the Charger. Retro-fit look is where it is at in my book.

ramenth

Reaction score
This one and no other.

DSC_0057.jpg

Eric, bud, considering I posted pics of other Darts over the years I think I pointed out the A-body isn't the only car to have worn the badge. The A-body may be the most popular car to have worn the badge, but it was hardly the first or the last car to do so. The history is more than just A-body.

As a matter of fact, I'm sure that if the internet was around back in the day then the release of the A-body Dart would have caused as much of a snit as the release of the new Dart is now.

The Dart name started as it's own sub-brand off Dodge to compete against Ford, Chevrolet, and even Plymouth. You could buy the Dart Seneca, the Dart Pioneer, and the Dart Phoenix. Imagine losing a brand to have it pop up as model off the Dodge line. For you to make the statement "this one and no other" in reference to your own car as having the Dart badge is a kick in the nuts to the fans - and the history - of the original '60-'62 and dismisses what came before.

The name of the game is marketing, folks. Just as it was when it came time to badge Eric's car. The idea is name recognition. If the Dart name hadn't been synonymous with reliability, quality, etc, then the A-body wouldn't have wound up with the name. If it had been used on the originals and the originals had been pieces of junk, then the A-bodies would have been named something else. Especially coming that close on the heels of the originals.

Hey, we've seen the Ramcharger name go from being a kick ass engine and name of a kick ass race team, to being the name of a hood scope, to eventually the name of a truck. It's all about marketing.

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
I have a different view than a lot of people I have talked to about the new Darts. I'm not horribly crazy about the design.

And thinks like that make the world go 'round. Designing doesn't appeal to everyone. I like blue, you like red, someone else likes green. It's all good.

82Cordoba said:
It seems like an updated Neon.

Something Fiat promised in the long term plan for Chrysler was a return of a small sedan to replace the Calibur. So far, with the exception of a few things, they've stuck with the plan.

82Cordoba said:
But most people I have talked to say they are disrespecting the Dart name. I say how? What was the purpose of the Dart? A low priced economy car. What is the new Dart? A low priced economy car.

Thank you.

ramenth

Reaction score
Then ask us Aspen owners about the newer Aspen SUV.

Which was a mistake. The Aspen name, to eyes of the outside buying public, wasn't one synonymous with reliability or quality. The Aspen name was more associated with poor build quality coming out of the struggles of the late '70s.

bremereric said:
Or the Challenger people whom have a car that looks very close to the old Challenger

What's funny about the new Challenger is I see more folks on FABO blasting the new Challenger than I do folks on FEBO. Seems the E-body owners have embraced the new Challenger while the A-body folks, in general, have rejected it, much like they have the new Charger, much like they the new Dart. Which leads me to believe a few things, in light of how this site got it's start, is that there are a great many A-body owners who are fans of only the A-body and their interest in Chrysler stops there. Anything else is exposed to ridicule, subject to humiliation, and generally to be derided. In other words, there's a number of A-body owners who act like the stereotypical E-body owner.

Now before this starts a pissing contest among the fans we have here, I want to quantify these statements. All you have to do is a quick search over on FABO with the keywords of "Charger" "Challenger" and "Dart." Read through the threads and you'll see many folks embrace the new cars, but the same complainers, the same loud mouths, who have a large following over there, weigh in to be the biggest whiners of all things new.

bremereric said:
and the opposite of the Charger.

Good God, don't even get started on the new Charger.

bremereric said:
Retro-fit look is where it is at in my book.

In light of the cars which have worn the badge before, how to you retro-look a multi-generation badge? Styling cues from the early '60's combined with the late '60's along with the early '70's with a few M-body winks thrown in? Chevy did that with the Camaro. IMO didn't turn out so well.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
For those of us on here. Muscle car and rust era are the cars that should be used for the retro look. As far as that Chevy POS it doesn't resemble anything that I can remember. Totally blows.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
What's funny about the new Challenger is I see more folks on FABO blasting the new Challenger than I do folks on FEBO. Seems the E-body owners have embraced the new Challenger while the A-body folks, in general, have rejected it, much like they have the new Charger, much like they the new Dart. Which leads me to believe a few things, in light of how this site got it's start, is that there are a great many A-body owners who are fans of only the A-body and their interest in Chrysler stops there. Anything else is exposed to ridicule, subject to humiliation, and generally to be derided. In other words, there's a number of A-body owners who act like the stereotypical E-body owner.

Not me....

Greg

Chall_RR22.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
Hey, I will give the new ride a chance, but just don't call it a Dart. Call it a Neon. I had the first gen 1995 Neon mopar performance ACR after my first F- body. It wasn't tough looking but spanked a friends 1996 GT Mustang time and time again in the zero to 80 run ( at 80 the mustang would crawl on by). It seems the designers at mopar have a blind eye to certain key things on the past from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Call it ignorance, call it way too much schooling on marketing, risk assessments worry, lawyers, politicians, who knows? I'll hopefully get one of these new Darts as a rental car when I get out of the office. Nothing drives like a rental, so they say.

lowbudget

Reaction score
At least they didn't call it a Dardo, or whatever the I talian translation for Dart is.

ramenth

Reaction score
Hey, I will give the new ride a chance, but just don't call it a Dart. Call it a Neon. I had the first gen 1995 Neon mopar performance ACR after my first F- body. It wasn't tough looking but spanked a friends 1996 GT Mustang time and time again in the zero to 80 run ( at 80 the mustang would crawl on by). It seems the designers at mopar have a blind eye to certain key things on the past from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Call it ignorance, call it way too much schooling on marketing, risk assessments worry, lawyers, politicians, who knows? I'll hopefully get one of these new Darts as a rental car when I get out of the office. Nothing drives like a rental, so they say.

But we come back to the name attachment and marketing.

I like the Neon. I really do. I don't think the Neons get their fair shake. Pop's got one. '97, stripped out base model. The car is nimble. Much like you, he has a story about whipping a Mustang, not in an all out speed show, though, but on a nice winding road. The kid in the Mustang was riding his ass when the road was straight, but once they hit the curves that's when Pop decided to have a little fun. The Mustang couldn't keep up.

But Neons are still on the road. Unless they're granny driven most are in the hands of teenage boys with a ricer complex or teenage girls who never check their oil, let alone give 'em a bath. Here in the Northeast, most are rotted out to the glass, blowing smoke, and generally on their last leg. People think Neon and that image comes to mind.

Then you have the buying public's perceptions. Seems like everyone knows someone who's owned one. Tails of blown head gaskets in the first gen are rampant. That problem was cleared up later on with the tri-metal gaskets, but the reputation still remains.

Actually, in my experience, the biggest issue wasn't with the head gaskets anyway, which took on more of an urban legend status, it was with rods liking to go egg shaped. I've done more cranks and rods in 'em than I ever had head gaskets.

The 2.4 is a different story. The head dowels like to crack and let the head shift, yet for all the 2.4's out there in minivans, Stratus's, PT Cruisers, etc, the 2.4 never gained the reputation a gasket grenade.

Take a look at Ford and the use of the name Taurus. For some reason the Taurus got a reputation as being a good car. No one could ever tell me why considering there is hardly one out there before '04 that's still on the trans it made it out of the factory with. The 3.0's had a wrist pin knock from day one. The 3.8's were expensive to maintain, with water pumps that sat too close to the frame rail, necessitating another hour on the books to R&R one, cam sensors that almost always fail, rust issues galore.

Yet a certain car gains a certain reputation, good or bad, earned or not. It's what people think, the emotional response they get when they hear a certain name.

In this case, when folks are having a fit about the use of the Dart name on the new car, they should be flattered, really. It means for the market survey as to what to name the car, most people associated the name Dart with Dodge, associated the name Dart with quality. They linked the name to a good car, with a good reputation. It's not an insult to the originals, no matter what body style, no matter what era, but the sincerest form of flattery. People recognize the name Dart with something good! And Dart owners can puff out their chests and know that the general public thinks their cars are great.

Back