new here from South of Chicago

volaredon

Reaction score
as title says; I had been with the other F body site from its beginning; as well as FABO and FBBO for several years; though I have hardly been to any of them in a while, I used to "live" on those sites/

Over the years I have owned a few F and M bodies, with big plans for each one of them but nothing ever became of... just drove them into the ground.
To me the M bodies are "blah" though I have had a couple of "police" versions --sorry guys just not a 4 door fan, never was.
One of the 1st cars I was allowed to drive was a 79 Aspen wagon with a 318, that was Dad's "steel mill car" back then. Mom n Dad had a few M's, a 79 lebaron 82 Gran Fury, and 84 5th ave besides that wagon over the years.
MY 1st F body was a 80 Aspen 2 door, that I got for a whole $5 from a guy 2 blocks over when I still lived at home back in about '88-89 with a knocking /6 in it. It had a knocking '73 /6 in it as the guy had had that motor put in because his kids ""beat it to death" and never checked, let alone changed, the oil. When this 2nd engine did the same, the guy said "screw the kids" and left them w/o wheels to teach them something... and I got the car.
I got a /6 from a '63 Dodge "something or other" Grandma car that had low miles but torn apart to make a 413 race car with, a "Ramcharger's" clone of sorts. When I went to put that 63 motor into the Aspen, I learned about the "early" and "late" torque converter pilot size, so I took both heads both blocks and the 73 crank, into the machine shop and said "evaluate all of this and get me the best parts to build 1 good motor"
we settled on the 63 block and everything else from the 73 crank, I assembled that motor and juuust about had all the "fresh motor bugs" out of it and running good, as I found out that the 63 block was cracked between 2 freeze plugs. I was just about to go back to the machine shop and ask if they still had the 73 block that they could bore and prep for me and I wrecked that car....
the head wound up on Dad's 82 Gran Fury while the rest got made into Toyotas... with a whole 700 miles on that fresh short block.
I have never owned anything BUT Chrysler products. though I work on everything else, at my job. Nearly 30 years of turning wrenches and I still hate front wheel drive with a passion. I hate honduhs Toyotas and hyundais even more.
I do have another f body here right now, a long term resto mod project. 80 Volare. 48k original, was a /6, but will be 318 Magnum. Same grey/silver as my 80 Aspen was.
I have had this car in pieces now for too long. I have most of the pieces needed to finish, I always liked the "different" cars as opposed to the "cookie cutter" ones.
My Volare is a bare shell in a home built rotisserie.
I have had that car "built in my head" for too long now. I once knew exactly what I wanted it to be,
(color, engine, trans, fuel system, wheels and all) but have been wavering a bit lately and wondering if I oughtta do a couple things differently from my original plans...
I had a severe bump in the road, I got seriously hurt back in '07 just as I was making such good progress on it, everything with my Volare stopped, cold turkey. I suddenly had tons of time but no money. I am now back on my feet again (figuratively even, as my injury involved a chain saw kickback that nearly rendered me "stumpy") and it's beyond time to get that car back in the road again. I had considered parting with it when I was down in the dumps from my injury but the guys at the other F body site talked me out of it....
I also have a 78 Sport Fury, (B body, 2 door) I switch off on daily drivers between a 93 Dakota w/a 318 that I converted to a 5 speed or a 97 Wrangler that I have owned almost as long as I have owned the volare.

Another idea I have had in my head since high school is to take the 4 doors off of an Aspen wagon and replace them with 2-door, doors, move the B pillar back and use what would be needed of the rear doors as "filler material" between the now relocated B pillar and the quarter panel. I doubt that this idea will ever go anywhere though....

greymouser7

Reaction score
Welcome aboard VolareDon! A good mechanic besides Ramenth and blackbirdsrt78 is great benefit to the site as a resource of knowledge.

please post pics of your build and bounce ideas off of us-especially when you can't decide, it might give us some ideas!

Master M

Reaction score
Welcome !! The 4 door cars can stop crying now...

volaredon

Reaction score
Welcome aboard VolareDon! A good mechanic besides Ramenth and blackbirdsrt78 is great benefit to the site as a resource of knowledge.

please post pics of your build and bounce ideas off of us-especially when you can't decide, it might give us some ideas!
nothing built yet, it's like a life size Revell model right now all in pieces.
originally, I had it set in my mind that I was gonna basically run a Dakota drivetrain in it; 318 Magnum, Dakota Gen I EFI, 5 speed and 3.55s. Regardless, the long block will be 318 Magnum with the MP RT+10 cam, some call it a "sausage" cam. I was gonna go with the NV 3500 like in my Dakota but I rarely use 1st gear in there even from a dead stop as it is "almost" a granny gear. Definitely going stick, but now I'm looking into a T5.
and after having done a magnum head swap and stock 360-2 barrel cam in the 318 that was in my 83 3/4 ton, with a 4 barrel on top I'm thinking now to go 4 barrel. I have a fresh DemonSizzler prepped thermoquad that I think would work great on it too.
I have a stock F body auto console and I thought I had it worked out to where I could use the same shifter hole as the A/T would... hafta wait til I start putting things back together to verify/deny though.
Color will be the 90s "Electric Blue" with a tan interior, I already have a new set of seat covers for it bought years ago from Ebay, done by a mom and pop upholstery shop that are as well done as anything I have seen on other cars from Legendary. but all my interior plastic is that "toffee" color that was more popular on these cars (orangeish brown for lack of another way to put it) which does not quite match the plastic or dash pad color.... be easier to dye the plastic and dash pad or the seat covers slightly to match the other?
I have 4-5 dash pads here but they all need sent out and redone. I had a beautiful one here cant remember if it was the black one or the blue one I have but got poked in storage as I was moving things around in the attic, smacked it against the underside of my roof and caught it on a roofing nail that sticks thru....
I have an easy way to put a stock Mopar EFI in tank pump on my car, whose sending unit should work fine with my original F body in dash gas gauge. a tank out of something you'd never guess that's got the same dimensions and capacity as the "later" F body tank, only thing needed would be to relocate the filler neck nipple to the sale place as it is on the F body....
My thoughts are (were) to basically duplicate a "kit car" without the graphics though the spoilers etc would look weird on the front of an '80.
as far as occupation/ I too am a mechanic by trade currently a fleet mechanic for the state of IL.

I built a bigger garage here at home in '06, and as of about 1-1/2 years ago I now have a 2 post lift in my home garage. Its funny, that garage seemed huge then/ but I feel the walls closing in... it's 30X36
I have a Modine heater hanging from the rafters, but do not yet have gas to it or the vent stack mounted.... it's been cold out there lately.
right now, priority is the engine in my son's Ramcharger, we are waiting for it to come back from machining (76 360 going into 89 RC)
I have been a mechanic since I graduated high school in 85, most of that time spent beneath an alignment rack.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well Don,
once again welcome.
I'm a driveway mechanic at best with limited skill.
It's always great to have some more knowledgeable people on here. Sounds like you have some very interesting things in the works.

volaredon

Reaction score
i cant get past the posts ,,they remind me of rattel trap way back in the day

dont know what you mean, I will just say that I have a ton in mind for this car all trapped in my mind, but have not been able to get any of them done on this car due to "life"/....

Back