New Imperial owner -- future Imperial race car!

majo

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just picked up a 1981 Imperial. Actually, I probably saved it from a slow death of neglect. The body and frame are pretty solid, the engine and tranny seem decent, but the interior was a disaster -- it must have been sitting with the windows open for five years, as the layer of mold and filth was pretty impressive, and the smell was unbearable. Good thing that I won't need the nasty interior, as I'm going to turn this into a........

24 Hours of LeMons race car! Please don't crucify me for turning a "rare" car into a racer. :icon_winkle: The way I see it, I'll be giving this car a new lease on life, and showering it with more attention than it's received over the last ten years of it's life. It'll get new fluids, new parts, be able to breath easier, and live the rest of it's life on smooth race tracks going as fast as it can!

I've always really likes the looks of the 80's Imperial, and now I have one!

Looking forward to sharing info with everyone and learning as much as I can about these fine machines.

11206031_1602787879968984_5531531788603705358_n.jpg

11206031_1602787879968984_5531531788603705358_n.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
If you are being serious about turning the car into a road racer, you will have suspension considerations to make. Suspension is NOT ideal for road racing type usage. See Firm Feel or RMS for solutions.

Kostas

majo

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'll start a build thread as we get into it. First priority is getting my Ford Probe ready for it's seventh race in July ( needs clutch and steering rack ), and I'll focus mainly on the Imperial when that's done.

Had an interesting oil change moment today. I changed the oil ( looked like it hadn't been changed in years ) and filter, and upon running the engine for the first time, I noticed a new heavy, steady leak dripping off the bottom of the trans bellhousing. I couldn't really see where the leak was coming from, so I figured I was sent the wrong filter. Took the new filter off -- had to stab it with a screwdriver as I for some reason couldn't get it off after I hand tightened it! Went to the parts store, got a new filter, same thing. WTF? Upon further inspection, the leak wasn't coming from the filter at all -- it was coming from further up the engine, but I couldn't determine the source. I feared a rear seal leak, and since it was getting dark, I called it a day. Then I searched the internet, and it appears the oil sending unit can go bad and cause a big leak. That sounds exactly what the problem is, and I'll get a new unit tomorrow.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Back