New Radiator Quote

slant6billy

Reaction score
There is a local Radiator shop not far from me. Today I stopped in. These guys do industrial stuff. Brass, Copper & Aluminum. So as I still fight my overtemp issue, I asked about a 22inch radiator, since most are 26. They had in stock a 22 inch down flow with the trans cooler, center top fill cap and the overflow tube is pointed towards the passenger side. Only issue: it is top pass inlet and lower pass out let- so new rad hoses, No kidding, really! It is an aluminum 3 core that was ordered and never bought. They are asking $229 for it which seems far by comparison to some of the the online ones I've seen.

So a 3 core Aluminum for for $229? OK, it is not copper brass, but the weight difference (less with aluminum) and 3 core may be the ticket. I have to wait until next payday, so 2 weeks to think about it.

Any opinions welcome

Joe12459

Reaction score
I run a 4 core aluminum down flow in my Roadrunner, big block bored .060 over, 11.7 compression, and it runs cool, even with the AC on. $229.00 sounds like a good deal to me.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm thinking so and the shop is very good by their quality and customer satisfaction. So It is not some guy online somewhere else in the world.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Aluminum is not only lighter but because they can make the core different than copper (more efficient) they also transfer heat much better. Something to do with the size and shape of the tubes....................Plus, I've never seen an aluminum core corrode away like copper ones can. Although that's almost always caused by winter road salt so, not a concern for most of our cars.

Last edited:

moreada

Reaction score
Interesting thread and comments. When I seek my Mirada replacement rad out, should I look for Aluminium over Copper and Brass too?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Here ya go. A short article on the advantages of aluminum vs copper.

http://www.alumorad.com/about-all-aluminum-radiators1.html

Being an auto tech, I can say that despite what you'd think, the plastic tank ones are just fine. The early plastic/aluminum had problems with cracking tanks and failure of the rubber seal between the tank and core. The manufactures have solved both those problems. Years ago we replaced the plastic tank radiators all the time but in the last few years it is rare for a radiator to leak. Most times they leak from physical damage. Just one guys observation anyways.

Of course, most aftermarket radiators made to fit our cars have welded aluminum tanks so the plastic thing is a moot point.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Here ya go. A short article on the advantages of aluminum vs copper.

http://www.alumorad.com/about-all-aluminum-radiators1.html

Being an auto tech, I can say that despite what you'd think, the plastic tank ones are just fine. The early plastic/aluminum had problems with cracking tanks and failure of the rubber seal between the tank and core. The manufactures have solved both those problems. Years ago we replaced the plastic tank radiators all the time but in the last few years it is rare for a radiator to leak. Most times they leak from physical damage. Just one guys observation anyways.

Of course, most aftermarket radiators made to fit our cars have welded aluminum tanks so the plastic thing is a moot point.

Thanks for the article. Now I'm in that wait period for my cash. I'm just strict on any purchase any more. No cash - no buy. Made a promise to myself not to whip out the credit card every time I see stuff for the car. Otherwise, I'd have a 1000 hp and 50 grand in credit card debt. Torture- just plain torture.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thanks for the article. Now I'm in that wait period for my cash. I'm just strict on any purchase any more. No cash - no buy. Made a promise to myself not to whip out the credit card every time I see stuff for the car. Otherwise, I'd have a 1000 hp and 50 grand in credit card debt. Torture- just plain torture.

Right there with you on that one! The single most major reason it took me over 10 years to build my car. Refused to do it with credit. I mean, I used my VISA for on-line purchases of course BUT,,,, only as much per month as I could pay when the statement came.

slant6billy

Reaction score
100_3503.jpg
100_3504.jpg
100_3505.jpg

Got it $229 with tax. 1 year warranty. Just need to source an E body top hose and cut it down

100_3503.jpg

100_3504.jpg

100_3505.jpg

Back