Newbie from New Zealand

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been a long time Chrysler fan, in the past I have owned 1979 Chrysler New Yorker and a 1980 Chrysler New Yorker (SE) or Limited edition of which I imported from the USA myself into New Zealand. Circumstance's changed and I ended up selling my cars. I was driving around my city Christchurch when I saw once a 1980s Cordoba and I liked it very much. So after a lot of looking around at different models I settled on a Cordoba. I am not so sure why some of these cars are unloved, they a great looking cars of which I don't have to say if you are already a member. I have just imported my one from California, its 1983 with a 318 V8. I have fitted wire wheels to her and getting her ready for her compliance check to be road legal in New Zealand.

Where else can you get a 2 door coupe, with muscle car running gear for as little as $1500USD, these are amazing cars! I have rebuilt the brakes on my one, new KYB shocks, I have a power steer gear with bearings fitted and heavy reaction springs ready to go in, a set of addco front and rear anti sway bars as well. I am looking at a set of firmfeel upper control arms that allow you to get up to 5 degrees caster.

Here is a photo of my car parked in the garage, she is in good shape for her age, needs a paint and some work to the right front fender. The fender extensions are gone which is a common problem, going to try my luck with some replica plastics ones, its a good starting point even if they need a little modding to fit.

See You
Bruce

cd1.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Cordobas and Miradas (J bodies) are sort of under the radar. I have 3, a 1981 Mirada CMX, a 1982 Mirada base, and a 1980 Cordoba Crown. Total cost for all 3 cars is about $1700. All of them need work, no doubt about it. But none of them have serious rusting; They all need a paint job, and a whole bunch of cosmetic work, but they all drive, and could be put back on the road, now. In time, and money permitting, they will get their engines rebuilt or upgraded (Cordoba and CMX, the Mirada base will have a big block installed), the two Miradas should have their front ends redone, brakes, fluids, hoses, belts, new gas tanks and lines. I am leaning towards fuel injection for all 3, overdrive trannys and lower rear end rations/sure grips for the small blocks (8.75' for the big block), and haven't decided what to do for a tranny on the big block. Money is the biggest issue, I am still trying to catch up financially from the 4 years of unemployment.

Kostas

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Thanks for the welcome, yes I like this car, I have read they have some problems with suspension geometry due to where the torsion bars mount and bottom arms strength. I found the build sheet and it has the 7.25" rear end, have heard they are not to strong but hey this car has done 73,000 miles and the rear end is quiet! How strong are they, will it handle an RV grind cam and a 4bbl carb and intake?

Thanks
Bruce

mirada80

Reaction score
Very nice Cordoba, I was just on the forwardlook sight and seen the for sale post of this car before Christmas, congrates on your score.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yup that's where I bought it from, was really hard to buy, I thought I had missed out because I had emailed the guy and my emails were getting rejected as spam, gave up on it for a while then thought I would send an email from my work account and bang it got through and I bought it! Guy I bought it from is a really nice guy! Car is in unrestored condition, pretty tidy for age! Rust free which is the major bonus, they are hard on rust here for road worthiness! I have rebuilt the brake system, new shocks, idler arm was worn out (ball joint was just about falling out) fitted lower profile tires on the wire wheels (the old 205 x 75 x 15 were had it due to age) I am thinking of some FF upper control arms, some urethane body mounts, then I want to fit my heavy feel steering gear and that should see it drive quite nice I hope, my steering gear has just about no play in the centre position, I don't know what some people think about what I am doing but for me it will bring the a 30+ year old car to have a more modern feel to it. Oh I have some addco performances anti sway bars to go on as well! I will ditch the old exhaust for a cat free more free flowing one as well. EGR will go as well as will the air pump, not needed here.

mirada80

Reaction score
They all sound like good upgrades to a nice car. I am a firm believer in building your car as you want it. However you enjoy it. I know when I build my '55 it'll upset some people at the forwardlook sight.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I don't plan on changing the outward appearance or even make it fast, Just want to make it what it should of been or now what it can be, the laws in the USA at that time were nasty to engine due to emissions. Car will look like it does now on the outside and inside, will get new paint at some stage, just will handle better and perform like it should have. There it nothing wrong with the torsion bar suspension its a good set up, not perfect but what is, doesn't suffer from bump steer which is a bonus! Easy to adjust the ride height. I like it!

Back